- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Elmwood Neighborhood > Episode 8: Front Porch and Bathroom
Replicating Brass Door Hardware
Project: Elmwood Neighborhood, Episode 8, Part 4
The construction team begins by applying the Georgia Pacific roofing shingles, while Bob talks to Homer Earle (from the Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau) and Johannes Boonstra (from Sikkens). They discuss sidewall shingles, as carpenter Bob Ryley works at installing them.
On the porch, the columns are being stripped, and work on the landscape and hardscape gets underway. Bob takes a tour of the Architectural Brass shop, where the new door fixtures are being fabricated.
- Part 1: House Seven: Shingle-Style Renovation
- Part 2: Removing Lead Paint From Exterior Surfaces
- Part 3: Discussing Cedar Shingle Siding
- Part 4: Replicating Brass Door Hardware
- The front door once had lovely brass ornamentation, the lingering outline of which will allow for reproduction fittings to be made. Steve Moore (from Architectural Brass) demonstrates how to replicate a brass escutcheon plate. In addition to the ornamentation, new brass doorknobs are also installed on the door.
ALL EPISODES IN ELMWOOD NEIGHBORHOOD