- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Greenhouse > Episode 4: Building Masonry Walls
Cold Weather Brick Laying
Project: Greenhouse, Episode 4, Part 1
Masonry walls are built onto the foundation for the greenhouse, and work begins on the specially designed Parallam rafters that will support the glass roof and walls. Traveling to Indiana University, Bob takes a tour of the institution's educational greenhouses: the older Jordan Hall and the computer-controlled Hilltop Gardens.
- Part 1: Cold Weather Brick Laying
- With the bricklayers on hand, Bob discusses the techniques being used, and explains the "anti-freeze" that has been added to the concrete to retard the cold weather's effect on the material.
- Part 2: Tour of Indiana University Greenhouses
- Part 3: Installing the Rafters
Bob Vila heads to Cape Cod in the dead of winter to watch over the construction of a custom, high-tech greenhouse. The design and construction of a new addition to the front of an existing house afforded the creation of this conservatory and of a new front entry pavilion that features a mahogany pergola supported by limestone columns.
ALL EPISODES IN GREENHOUSE