- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Ranch Expansion > Episode 12: The Kitchen Door, Insulation, and Deck Railing
Building the Porch Rail
Project: Ranch Expansion, Episode 12, Part 3
Contractor Bob Ryley installs a new thermal-insulated glass kitchen door. Meanwhile, contractors begin work insulating the cathedral-ceilinged family room. On the master suite deck, carpenters are adding a sturdy railing.
- Part 1: Exterior Door Installation
- Part 2: Insulating the Home
- Part 3: Building the Porch Rail
- The carpenter shows Bob the new railing on the deck off the master bedroom, explaining that code requires that it be 36 inches tall. The carpenter then builds a piece of railing from scratch, showing how to line up the holes and pre-drill them.
Bob takes on the expansion of a 35 year-old ranch house in Wayland, MA. With an eye on the budget, projects include European kitchen cabinets, a state-of-the-art closet system for the master bedroom, custom built-in bookshelves, an eye-catching fan detail on the front façade, and a private deck off the master bedroom.
ALL EPISODES IN RANCH EXPANSION