- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Bob's Shingle Style Home > Episode 9: Working on the Deck
Building a Redwood Deck and a Redwood-and-Cedar Fence
Project: Bob's Shingle Style Home, Episode 9, Part 1
An insulation expert explains the different uses for Owens Corning insulation products. Ryley shows how the redwood decking is added to the backyard deck for optimal drainage and paint de-leading is underway on the dining room hutch and mantel.
- Part 1: Building a Redwood Deck and a Redwood-and-Cedar Fence
- Bob helps carpenter Bob Ryley build a redwood deck. Bob emphasizes the use of stainless steel nails when working with redwood, due to the wood's acidity. Then carpenter Danny Ruffini installs a custom-made redwood-and-cedar fence on the perimeter.
- Part 2: Stripping Paint to Reveal Original Detailing
- Part 3: Insulating and Soundproofing the Attic
This project centers around the remodel of Bob Vila's own gracious Shingle Style home in Cambridge, MA. It's a house with a lot of history and beautiful architectural details, many of which were obliterated in remodels of the 50s and the 70s. On the centennial of the house's construction, Bob gets together the best talents in the business to recreate and renew it to its former glory, making some important modifications along the way that will transform this into a dream house for today.
ALL EPISODES IN BOB'S SHINGLE STYLE HOME
Episode 17 - Prepping to Paint the Exterior, Touring a Custom Cabinet Factory, Installing Kitchen Cabinets
Episode 19 - Discussing Landscaping Plans, Touring a Tile Showroom, and Installing Tile in the Bathroom