- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Bob's Shingle Style Home > Episode 14: Installing a Staircase and Chair Rail
Repairing Plaster and Installing Ceramic Shower Tiles
Project: Bob's Shingle Style Home, Episode 14, Part 2
An elaborate staircase gets installed in the kitchen, and plaster repair and ceramic tile installation get underway. Ryley installs a chair rail and replaces the glass in the doors of the dining room hutch.
- Part 1: Building a Kitchen Staircase
- Part 2: Repairing Plaster and Installing Ceramic Shower Tiles
- Bob heads to the library to discuss the plaster patchwork in progress. Plaster buttons are installed to hold the new metal mesh to the existing lath. Structo-Lite and Durabond are then applied and feathered to match the surrounding original plaster. Bob then visits with Ed Zywusko, who is installing ceramic tile in a guest bathroom on the second floor. The tiles are from Spain, Portugal, and Italy, lending a very Mediterranean feel to the shower stall. Ed demonstrates the process of applying the mortar and setting the tiles in place.
- Part 3: Installing a Chair Rail and Restoring a Corner Cupboard
This project centers around the remodel of Bob Vila's own gracious Shingle Style home in Cambridge, MA. It's a house with a lot of history and beautiful architectural details, many of which were obliterated in remodels of the 50s and the 70s. On the centennial of the house's construction, Bob gets together the best talents in the business to recreate and renew it to its former glory, making some important modifications along the way that will transform this into a dream house for today.
ALL EPISODES IN BOB'S SHINGLE STYLE HOME
Episode 17 - Prepping to Paint the Exterior, Touring a Custom Cabinet Factory, Installing Kitchen Cabinets
Episode 19 - Discussing Landscaping Plans, Touring a Tile Showroom, and Installing Tile in the Bathroom