- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Bob's Shingle Style Home > Episode 22: Installing Built-in Bookshelves, Lighting, Security, and Communication Systems
Installing Carpet on the Third Floor and Bathroom Tile
Project: Bob's Shingle Style Home, Episode 22, Part 3
The library’s getting a new set of built-in bookshelves, and the alarm and phone systems are installed. The electrician refurbishes a period light fixture for use in the kitchen and installs a new, state-of-the-art Lightolier dimmer switch system. Ryley helps reconstruct the stairway balustrade that was disassembled for stripping.
- Part 1: Retrofitting a Gas Light
- Part 2: Reconstructing the Stair Rail and Balusters
- Part 3: Installing Carpet on the Third Floor and Bathroom Tile
- Bob visits with carpet installer Chris Flynn and learns how the sections are seamed together. The carpet looks like sisal but is nylon and a good choice for the teenagers who will be spending time on the third floor. Then Bob talks with mason Ed Zywusko, who is working on a bathroom tile installation.
This project centers around the remodel of Bob Vila's own gracious Shingle Style home in Cambridge, MA. It's a house with a lot of history and beautiful architectural details, many of which were obliterated in remodels of the 50s and the 70s. On the centennial of the house's construction, Bob gets together the best talents in the business to recreate and renew it to its former glory, making some important modifications along the way that will transform this into a dream house for today.
ALL EPISODES IN BOB'S SHINGLE STYLE HOME
Episode 17 - Prepping to Paint the Exterior, Touring a Custom Cabinet Factory, Installing Kitchen Cabinets
Episode 19 - Discussing Landscaping Plans, Touring a Tile Showroom, and Installing Tile in the Bathroom