- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modular Mountain Retreat > Episode 12: Sound Insulation and Restored Rooms at Elm Court
The Kitchen and Butler's Pantry at Elm Court
Project: Modular Mountain Retreat, Episode 12, Part 4
Downstairs, Bob joins Sonya and Bob Berle in the grand parlor, one of the most ornate rooms in the house. The tour continues into the adjacent dining room.
Next, Vila and the Berles finish the tour in the kitchen area, where the couple used some stock and some reproduction material to create an authentic butler's kitchen.
- Part 1: Installing a Sound-Attenuating Coffered Wood Ceiling
- Part 2: Elm Court's Grand Parlor
- Part 3: Elm Court's Dining Room
- Part 4: The Kitchen and Butler's Pantry at Elm Court
- The butler's pantry of Elm Court mansion has a larger footprint than some US homes. During grand dinners, up to 38 footmen would whisk in and out of the dining room to the pantry to stage grand dinners.
The kitchen picks up on wood, stone, and metal motifs from the rest of the house. The amazing resiliency and strength of Terazzo flooring was demonstrated by the fact that the floor was still in good shape after vandals destroyed the kitchen.
The house goes down the assembly line from framing, through wiring and plumbing, all the way to the installation of flooring and priming for paint.
The house is trucked to its pre-fabricated foundations on the lot, and start all the finishing touches that will prove that a modular house doesn't have to be a cookie-cutter affair.
ALL EPISODES IN MODULAR MOUNTAIN RETREAT