- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Manhattan Remodel and Cape Cod Affordable > Episode 4: Falmouth's Model for Quality Affordable Housing
Tour of an Affordable Home
Project: Manhattan Remodel and Cape Cod Affordable, Episode 4, Part 2
- Part 1: Discussing Falmouth's Model for Affordable Housing
- Part 2: Tour of an Affordable Home
- Bob and developer John Druley walk through a home under construction by Quaker Homes in Falmouth, Massachusetts. This standard design is used for both the market-priced and affordable homes. The overall dimensions of the house are 26 feet by 36 feet. A center-door entry leads to 13-by-18-foot living room on one side and a 16-by-13-foot master bedroom on the other. The back of the house has a 13-by-18-foot kitchen with a back door and a window onto the backyard, a half-bath and laundry, and an entry to the master bedroom with full bath, tub-shower combination, double-bowl sink, and linen closet. The upstairs has two bedrooms with operable skylights and a full bath. This three-bedroom, two-and-one-half bath Cape will be lotteried as an affordable home to eligible families who make between $29,000 and $65,000 per year, and who qualify for a traditional mortgage. The home is stick-built with traditional 2X4 framing, oriented strand board (OSB) exterior sheathing, low-e glass, tilt-in vinyl windows, and gas heat. Bob and Druley point out that an affordable home must be affordable to operate and heat as well as being affordable to purchase.
- Part 3: Landscaping in the Falmouth Affordable House Development and Finished Interior of a Single Family Home
- Part 4: Tour of the Completed Interior of an Affordable Home
At the same time, Bob works with a Cape Cod developer to apply Massachusetts land use statute 40B to create affordable housing, and a neighborhood of homes in Mashpee, MA. These Energy Star certified homes show how quality building practices and reasonable asking prices can work together to provide livable, affordable homes and neighborhoods to those who work in our communities.
ALL EPISODES IN MANHATTAN REMODEL AND CAPE COD AFFORDABLE