- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Elmwood Neighborhood > Episode 6: Restoring a "Bench" Porch
Porch Restoration: Custom Reproduction Moldings and Chatsworth's Columns
Project: Elmwood Neighborhood, Episode 6, Part 2
Carpenters Bob Ryley and Terry Bates are on site, and, before starting demolition, Terry explains the scope of the job. Next, Bob checks in with Amadeo DiRocco, who is doing some masonry foundation repair.
Terry continues work with new shingles, new railings from Forester Moulding, and new Chadsworth's columns.
Steps are taken to prevent future water damage to the richly-hued exterior. And last, a new screen door is hung, right as the landscaping (including the installation of a new sprinkler system) gets underway.
- Part 1: House Five: Queen Anne Victorian Porch Restoration
- Part 2: Porch Restoration: Custom Reproduction Moldings and Chatsworth's Columns
- Porch restoration continues on the fifth Elmwood project house, with Forester Moulding and Lumber re-milling many porch elements, including the railings and cap.
Terry puts pressure-treated posts on the porch. And with the foundation finished, Georgia Pacific plywood sheeting is applied to the porch structure. The half-wall has been reframed and is ready for shingles and a new cap. The shingles are red cedar and follow the curve of the half wall, while Forester Moulding makes the new cap using the original moulding as a rough template.
Jeff Davis (from Chatsworth's Columns) shows Bob columns made from polyurethane and marble dust, which can handle enormous weights.
- Part 3: Porch Railing and Screen Door Installation
- Part 4: Final Tour of the Restored "Bench" Porch House
ALL EPISODES IN ELMWOOD NEIGHBORHOOD