- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Bob's Shingle Style Home > Episode 3: Adding a New Load-Bearing Beam
Installing a New Structural Support Beam
Project: Bob's Shingle Style Home, Episode 3, Part 2
With demolition completed, other surprises are revealed. Structural engineer Rene Mugnier explains how to fix the kitchen ceiling and two floors above, which are found to be dangerously unsupported, with the addition of a new load-bearing structural beam. Work begins on the new plumbing system.
- Part 1: Fixing the Unsupported Kitchen Ceiling
- Part 2: Installing a New Structural Support Beam
- It's time to start restoring the structure, marking an important moment in the house's history. Bob meets with carpenter Bob Ryley and the crew to begin installing the built-up structural beam made of Maxi-lams.
- Part 3: Evaluating the HVAC and Plumbing System
This project centers around the remodel of Bob Vila's own gracious Shingle Style home in Cambridge, MA. It's a house with a lot of history and beautiful architectural details, many of which were obliterated in remodels of the 50s and the 70s. On the centennial of the house's construction, Bob gets together the best talents in the business to recreate and renew it to its former glory, making some important modifications along the way that will transform this into a dream house for today.
ALL EPISODES IN BOB'S SHINGLE STYLE HOME
Episode 17 - Prepping to Paint the Exterior, Touring a Custom Cabinet Factory, Installing Kitchen Cabinets
Episode 19 - Discussing Landscaping Plans, Touring a Tile Showroom, and Installing Tile in the Bathroom