- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Bob's Shingle Style Home > Episode 4: Working on the Roof
Redesigning the Third Floor
Project: Bob's Shingle Style Home, Episode 4, Part 3
Shingle contractor Chris Clark shows how to assess shingle condition, remove damaged shingles and apply new ones. Bob visits Vancouver, British Columbia, to see how high quality red cedar shingles are made. Greg Rochlin points out needed structural changes to the roof to accommodate the new cathedral ceiling in the third floor family room.
- Part 1: Installing Wood Shingle Siding
- Part 2: Touring the Waldun Forest Products Shingle Factory
- Part 3: Redesigning the Third Floor
- Bob meets with architect Gregory Rochlin to discuss the third-floor structural redesign. Additional supports will be added to the existing roof to allow for the snow load, which will occur now because the improved insulation will prevent heat from escaping and melting the snow. Also, Bob intends to plaster the new ceiling, so to safeguard against any cracking, the roof will need to be stiffened to handle the extra weight.
This project centers around the remodel of Bob Vila's own gracious Shingle Style home in Cambridge, MA. It's a house with a lot of history and beautiful architectural details, many of which were obliterated in remodels of the 50s and the 70s. On the centennial of the house's construction, Bob gets together the best talents in the business to recreate and renew it to its former glory, making some important modifications along the way that will transform this into a dream house for today.
ALL EPISODES IN BOB'S SHINGLE STYLE HOME
Episode 17 - Prepping to Paint the Exterior, Touring a Custom Cabinet Factory, Installing Kitchen Cabinets
Episode 19 - Discussing Landscaping Plans, Touring a Tile Showroom, and Installing Tile in the Bathroom