- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Bob's Shingle Style Home > Episode 9: Working on the Deck
Insulating and Soundproofing the Attic
Project: Bob's Shingle Style Home, Episode 9, Part 3
An insulation expert explains the different uses for Owens Corning insulation products. Ryley shows how the redwood decking is added to the backyard deck for optimal drainage and paint de-leading is underway on the dining room hutch and mantel.
- Part 1: Building a Redwood Deck and a Redwood-and-Cedar Fence
- Part 2: Stripping Paint to Reveal Original Detailing
- Part 3: Insulating and Soundproofing the Attic
- Bob talks with Anderson Insulation about attic space that's being converted into a teenager's room. Since entertainment equipment will go in this space, controlling the noise will be an important consideration, along with controlling heat and energy loss. Eric Anderson, owner of Anderson Insulation, shows Bob the Owens Corning products used in the job. A member of the crew fills interior walls and floors with QuietZone, a sound attenuation batt. Bob and Eric also discuss house wrap and R-factor.
This project centers around the remodel of Bob Vila's own gracious Shingle Style home in Cambridge, MA. It's a house with a lot of history and beautiful architectural details, many of which were obliterated in remodels of the 50s and the 70s. On the centennial of the house's construction, Bob gets together the best talents in the business to recreate and renew it to its former glory, making some important modifications along the way that will transform this into a dream house for today.
ALL EPISODES IN BOB'S SHINGLE STYLE HOME
Episode 17 - Prepping to Paint the Exterior, Touring a Custom Cabinet Factory, Installing Kitchen Cabinets
Episode 19 - Discussing Landscaping Plans, Touring a Tile Showroom, and Installing Tile in the Bathroom