- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Bob's Shingle Style Home > Episode 14: Installing a Staircase and Chair Rail
Installing a Chair Rail and Restoring a Corner Cupboard
Project: Bob's Shingle Style Home, Episode 14, Part 3
An elaborate staircase gets installed in the kitchen, and plaster repair and ceramic tile installation get underway. Ryley installs a chair rail and replaces the glass in the doors of the dining room hutch.
- Part 1: Building a Kitchen Staircase
- Part 2: Repairing Plaster and Installing Ceramic Shower Tiles
- Part 3: Installing a Chair Rail and Restoring a Corner Cupboard
- In the dining room, carpenter Bob Ryley installs a chair rail, using a coping saw to cut the necessary pieces of railing and achieve an exact fit. Bob Vila then describes the restoration and replication process of the corner cupboard—one of the original features of the house. Carpenter Danny Ruffini is busy glazing the cabinet doors, using a hot glue gun to secure the glass to the frame. Ryley adds hinges and the doors are hung.
This project centers around the remodel of Bob Vila's own gracious Shingle Style home in Cambridge, MA. It's a house with a lot of history and beautiful architectural details, many of which were obliterated in remodels of the 50s and the 70s. On the centennial of the house's construction, Bob gets together the best talents in the business to recreate and renew it to its former glory, making some important modifications along the way that will transform this into a dream house for today.
ALL EPISODES IN BOB'S SHINGLE STYLE HOME
Episode 17 - Prepping to Paint the Exterior, Touring a Custom Cabinet Factory, Installing Kitchen Cabinets
Episode 19 - Discussing Landscaping Plans, Touring a Tile Showroom, and Installing Tile in the Bathroom