- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Elmwood Neighborhood > Episode 7: Restoring the Front Porch
House Six: Portico Restoration, Hardscaping, and Landscaping
Project: Elmwood Neighborhood, Episode 7, Part 1
Carpenters Bob Ryley and Terry Bates are underway doing demolition work and have removed the porch's old columns. Next, the new decking is installed, along with new columns and railings.
New lighting will be put in, as well a new alarm. Plus, landscaping work is being done, and a new sprinkler system being added.
Additional information is available about creating custom millwork for your own restoration project. Preventing carpenter ants and controlling termite infestation are also covered.
- Part 1: House Six: Portico Restoration, Hardscaping, and Landscaping
- The Charles E. Hancock house, built in 1892, has original oak archways within, and beautiful wood built-ins in the dining room. Homeowners Berry Jean Murray and Celeste Declos want to restore the Colonial portico, especially since the front porch is the focal point of the home's front façade.
Terry Bates, the general contractor, performs the demolition. Reproductions of the spindles, rails, and a half finial will be milled by Forester Moulding and Lumber.
- Part 2: Fighting Carpenter Ants and Repairing the Porch
- Part 3: Installing a Brick Walkway and Porch Lighting, and Milling the Railings and Balusters
- Part 4: Tour of the Restored Victorian Front Porch and Garden
ALL EPISODES IN ELMWOOD NEIGHBORHOOD