- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Accessible Home > Episode 10: Accessible Fixtures and Elevator
Home Elevator Installation
Project: Accessible Home, Episode 10, Part 1
Contractors install special bathroom fixtures and hardware, which have been specially designed for use by people with disabilities. The project house also gets a real lift in the form of an elevator. It's chain-driven and hidden in a closet, enabling a homeowner with disabilities to access the home's second floor.
- Part 1: Home Elevator Installation
- Bob meets Mike Vogt (from Access Industries) and carpenters (from the Whitaker Company), who are installing a residential elevator. A closet space is used for the elevator, but unlike most other elevator systems, there is neither a 'penthouse' topping the elevator unit nor a pit beneath it. Most elevators have one or the other. This particular elevator operates on rails in the rear of the unit. A sling package stops the elevator from falling if the cables accidentally break.
- Part 2: Wheelchair-Accessible Toilet Installation
- Part 3: Installing a Bathroom Grab Rail
This project follows an urban renewal story, involving grass-roots activism and affordable housing. Bob Vila reports on nine newly built three-bedroom homes, including one with accessibility for people with disabilities.
ALL EPISODES IN ACCESSIBLE HOME