- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Bob's Shingle Style Home > Episode 16: Installing a Hardwood Floor
Installing a Herringbone-Patterned Floor
Project: Bob's Shingle Style Home, Episode 16, Part 1
A herringbone hardwood floor gets installed in the library, and the California Closet people explain how the dressing rooms are coming together in the master suite. A water purification system gets installed in the basement, and we take a tour of the Kinetico factory outside Cleveland, Ohio, and get a quick primer on water treatment issues.
- Part 1: Installing a Herringbone-Patterned Floor
- Bob starts with a quick review of the completed work in the kitchen. The floors have just been finished, though it will take a good month for the cabinets to be installed. Then Bob and carpenter Bob Ryley oversee the installation of a select white oak 18-inch herringbone-patterned floor in the den, which will essentially function as a home office. Bob describes the advantages of this type of flooring and discusses the techniques used by the installer, Chong Do.
- Part 2: Discussing Water Purification and Touring the Kinetico Plant near Cleveland, OH
- Part 3: Reviewing the Layout of Bob’s Walk-in Closet
This project centers around the remodel of Bob Vila's own gracious Shingle Style home in Cambridge, MA. It's a house with a lot of history and beautiful architectural details, many of which were obliterated in remodels of the 50s and the 70s. On the centennial of the house's construction, Bob gets together the best talents in the business to recreate and renew it to its former glory, making some important modifications along the way that will transform this into a dream house for today.
ALL EPISODES IN BOB'S SHINGLE STYLE HOME
Episode 17 - Prepping to Paint the Exterior, Touring a Custom Cabinet Factory, Installing Kitchen Cabinets
Episode 19 - Discussing Landscaping Plans, Touring a Tile Showroom, and Installing Tile in the Bathroom