- Give-Aways & Offers
- Monthly Must Do's
- DIY Project Ideas
- Step-by-Step Guides
- Inspirational Photo Galleries
Even though Grandpa's quick fix for a blown fuse entailed replacing it with a copper penny, this is one old-school technique that you should avoid. The fuses in your circuit box are designed to prevent large amounts of current from flowing through your home’s electrical system, and this in turn prevents the wires from overheating. A copper penny in the fuse box will not stop the system from overloading and could result in melted wiring or a house fire. Either replace the blown fuse yourself, or call in a qualified electrician.
We'll send you an email as soon as Bob Vila Academy launches
Enroll now and learn DIY basics from the next generation of home improvement experts