10 Things Never to Burn in the Fireplace

Thanks to modern heating technologies, homeowners today no longer have to rely on fire for heat. Our homes stay nice and warm, even on the coldest nights. Yet there's still nothing quite as cozy as snuggling up next to a crackling fire. But while a fireplace is charming and romantic, it can also be a source of danger, particularly if it isn't maintained or used properly. To keep your family safe, burn only dry, seasoned wood, never leave a fire unattended, and never throw any of the following items into your fireplace.

  1. Treated or Coated Wood

    1/11
    Burning Plywood

    When you burn coated or pressure-treated wood, toxic chemicals can be released into the air you breathe. For example,  wood treated to withstand rot or insects used to contain a form of arsenic, while painted, stained, or varnished woods contain other chemicals—and all these chemicals create toxic fumes when burned. Nix on plywood, too, because adhesives applied during manufacturing release toxic fumes when burned.


    Related: 21 Clever Little Things to Do with Scrap Wood

    istockphoto.com

  2. Cardboard

    2/11
    Burning Cardboard

    Small recyclables are often used to start a roaring fire because they usually catch fire quickly. The next time you need to get a fire going, however, don’t use cardboard (including pizza boxes and cereal boxes), which is often treated with chemicals. Instead, use approved fire starters, available from camping-supply stores, or small splinters of wood, chipped with an axe from your stock of seasoned firewood.


    Related: 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace

    istockphoto.com

  3. Lighter Fluid

    3/11
    Burning Lighter Fluid

    Never use lighter fluid, charcoal starter fluid, or any other type of accelerant to start a fire in a fireplace. These products are designed for very specific uses and should not be used to fuel an indoor fire, in part because they often contain methanol and petroleum-based chemicals that produce toxic fumes. In addition, the use of accelerants creates an extra-hot fire that can damage your chimney liner.


    Related: No Money to Burn? 9 Fire Pits You Can Afford

    istockphoto.com

  4. Magazines and Colored Paper

    4/11
    Burning Magazines

    The inks used to create colorful magazine layouts contain chemical pigments that release toxic fumes when burned. If your fire needs a boost getting started, you may use a couple of sheets (not more) of plain black-and-white newspaper, rolled tightly and placed beneath small bits of wood kindling, but don’t toss magazines, gift wrap, or coupon inserts into the fireplace. Not only do these items create unwanted fumes, but bits of burning paper can float up and out of an uncapped chimney, putting your roof and nearby structures at risk of fire.


    Related: 14 Clever New Uses for Old Newspapers

    istockphoto.com

  5. Wet Firewood

    5/11
    Burning Wet Wood

    The best thing you can do to make sure your firewood is always fireplace-ready is to keep it dry. For starters, dry wood is easier to light than damp wood. Even more importantly, the moisture in wet firewood makes it smoke and leads to rapid creosote buildup in the chimney liner. In fact, creosote buildup is a leading cause of chimney fires. While you can’t completely avoid creosote, you can reduce the risk of buildup by burning only dry firewood and having your chimney cleaned annually.


    Related: 11 Mistakes Homeowners Make Every Winter

    istockphoto.com

  6. Allergen-Producing Brushwood

    6/11
    Burning Brushwood

    You wouldn’t intentionally roll around in a patch of poison oak, but you’ll be putting your whole family at risk if you burn the woody vines from poison sumac, poison ivy, or plants that contain urushiol, a toxic irritant that causes rashes on contact. In winter, when plants lose their leaves, it can be difficult to tell if you’re gathering harmless vines or poisonous ones, so take precautions by avoiding anything you can't identify. The reason? Fumes from burning plants that contain urushiol can trigger serious allergic respiratory reactions.

    Related: 10 Ways Your Backyard Can Hurt You

    istockphoto.com

  7. Evergreen Wood

    7/11
    Burning Evergreen Wood

    Evergreen trees, such as pine, spruce, and cedar (yes, even your old Christmas tree), contain resins that catch fire quickly and produce a hot flame. While this might sound good, these trees burn so fast that the fire will fizzle out quickly, and their high resin content can leave heavy creosote deposits in your chimney, which can over time lead to chimney fires.


    Related: 12 Simple Tricks to Stay Seriously Warm This Winter

    istockphoto.com

  8. Wood Pallets

    8/11
    Burning Wood Pallets

    Finding a way to repurpose wood pallets is a great idea—just don’t burn them. Discarded shipping pallets are popular materials for resourceful DIYers and crafters, but many pallets have been treated with the chemical pesticide methyl bromide to prevent the spread of the emerald ash borer, a beetle that wreaks havoc on living ash trees. Never burn a pallet that bears the stamp “MB,” which indicates that it has been treated with chemicals. Even if you don't see a stamp, it's probably safest to avoid burning pallets altogether.


    Related: 16 Insanely Clever Ways to Reuse Household Junk

    istockphoto.com

  9. Driftwood

    9/11
    Burning Driftwood

    If you’ve ever attended a beach party where driftwood was burned, you probably oohed and aahed at the beautiful lavender-blue flames. Those colorful flames are produced by metal salts that the wood absorbed while it was adrift, and, unfortunately, the fumes from those flames are toxic. Many seaside communities have banned the burning of driftwood for just that reason, so follow their lead and don’t burn wood that you’ve gathered on the beach in your fireplace.


    Related: 10 Cheap Ways to Bring the Beach to the Backyard

    istockphoto.com

  10. Trash

    10/11
    Burning Trash

    Many people do it—toss an empty plastic-foam cup or a used paper plate on an open fire. If you've fallen into the habit, stop now: Most consumer products contain chemicals that produce hazardous fumes when burned. What's worse? Some of the most toxic trash items contain plastic, which releases a category of toxins known as dioxins. Inhaling dioxins increases the risk of respiratory ailments, headaches, internal organ damage, and even cancer.


    Related: 11 Things It's Illegal to Throw in the Trash

    istockphoto.com

  11. Safe and Warm

    11/11
    Safe and Warm

    Now you can enjoy a toasty fire with peace of mind that you’re being careful. Pin or share this fire safety advice with your family and friends, so that they are in the know too!

    bobvila.com

  12. See the House of the Week

    Hotw600x450

    Discover and admire beautiful and innovative home architecture, from grand Victorians to quaint cabins and all the styles in between. Take a look at the latest images and inspiration!