A blocked chimney is not a problem you want to ignore. If you don't properly maintain your
chimney, you run the risk of suffering from a fire, smoke inhalation, or carbon monoxide poisoning. Soot and creosote can build up on the interior of the chimney, and can be removed only by physically brushing and vacuuming the unit. Also inspect the chimney cap to make sure it's not rusty or damaged; this will prevent debris and pests from entering your home. As a final precaution, make sure to change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors every six months, and check and replace fire extinguishers as needed.