- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Lifespan House > Episode 4: Fireplace and Porch Columns
Building a Rumford Fireplace
Project: Lifespan House, Episode 4, Part 1
General contractors Kevin and Betsy Kalman update Bob on the progress made so far. Masons are hard at work constructing the fireplace, a special Superior Clay Rumford Firebox. Outside, Bob and Jeff Davis (from Chadsworth Columns) oversee the installation of new columns along the porch. Back inside, the finishing touches are being put on the Rumford firebox.
- Part 1: Building a Rumford Fireplace
- Masons are building the Rumford fireplace, which uses a design that's approximately 200 years old. In profile, the Rumford is tall and shallow, so as to reflect a lot of heat, and there is a streamlined throat between the firebox and the flue. Heat Stop Refractory Mortar, which conforms to building codes, is being used to withstand the high temperatures generated in the firebox.
- Part 2: Reviewing the Home's Framing
- Part 3: Securing Load-Bearing Columns
- Part 4: Installing the Fireplace Throat and Flue
Bob Vila heads to the Low Country: Mount Pleasant, South Carolina. Steeped in tradition, this historic suburb of Charleston is the scene, not only of a remarkable new home, but of a remarkable transformation in suburban living at the developing community of I'On.
ALL EPISODES IN LIFESPAN HOUSE
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
How often do termite queens lay eggs?