- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Accessible Home > Episode 8: Installing a Tankless Water Heater
Tour of the Lightolier Manufacturing Plant
After installing a recessed lighting fixture in the Roxbury accessible home, Bob takes a tour of the Lightolier plant in Fall River, MA, where the fixtures are made. Back on site, a tankless water heater is installed. The heater, which is about the size of a suitcase, promises to save the homeowner hundreds in heating bills.
- Part 1: Installing Recessed Lighting
- Part 2: Tour of the Lightolier Manufacturing Plant
- Bob visits the ultra-modern Lightolier manufacturing plant, where lighting products-- from recessed residential to heavy industrial-- are made. The director of design, Bob Wetkin, guides Bob's tour.
- Part 3: Installing a Tankless Hot Water Heater
This project follows an urban renewal story, involving grass-roots activism and affordable housing. Bob Vila reports on nine newly built three-bedroom homes, including one with accessibility for people with disabilities.
Also from Accessible Home
Bob introduces the nine-unit affordable housing project in Roxbury, MA, by touring the neighborhood with the community-based developers from Nuestra Comunidad CDC.<br> <br> Bob shows that here, as is often the case in urban construction projects, soil decontamination is taking place at the same time as foundation excavation.<br> <br> At another site, we meet Arnold Johnson and George Chin, contractors for the accessible hour the job, who show Bob around a unit that's already been framed.
Framing is underway on the unit of the Roxbury project that will be accessible for people with disabilities.<br> <br> George and Arnold (from Crosswinds Enterprises) explain the panelization process and what it takes to get the job done right with a building crew that's as culturally diverse as the community.<br> <br> On the roof, Jack Vieira installs asphalt shingles and flashing, while George installs special blocking inside that will be used to securely mount some safety handrails.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers