- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Federal-Style Home > Episode 4: Cornice Reconstruction and Mantle Restoration
Decorative Woodwork Restoration
Bob joins contractor Richard Marks to review progress on the cornice reconstruction, following water damage, and the painstaking restoration of the elaborately carved and inset fireplace mantle. Also, Bob returns to the William Gibbes house for a tour of its one-acre garden.
Bob Vila tackles the revitalization of an exquisite Federal-style home, built in the early 1800s, which survived the Civil War but barely survived Hurricane Hugo in 1989. A major aspect of the project is the painstaking process of restoring the original plaster ornamentation and woodwork to their original detail.
Also from Federal-Style Home
Bob sets out on a carriage tour of historic Charleston, SC to get a feel for the elegant and well-preserved architecture of one of the most beautiful cities in the South. Richard Marks, the restoration contractor who's responsible for much of the expert work being done in and around Charleston, gives Bob a tour of the elegant, though quite run-down, Federal style house whose revival this project chronicles.
Bob gets a look at how the newly framed addition will blend gracefully into the back of the old house, adding a considerable amount of expanded living space. Restoration contractor Richard Marks explains how they're reproducing damaged sections of the elaborate, early 19th-century plaster cornice in the dining room. And Bob takes a tour of the spectacular home of Nathaniel Russell, one of Charleston's wealthiest merchants of the Colonial period.
The new addition receives Federal-style windows that were made on-site. The siding is also cut and detailed to match the Federal Style, which the existing portion of the home exemplifies.<br> <br> Bob takes a tour of Charleston's elegant William Gibbes House. And back at the site, the roofers are using age-old techniques to repair and expand the slate roof.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- The Ultimate All-Natural Cleaning Guide