- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Greenhouse > Episode 6: Installing Windows and Glass Walls
The green house and the entry pavilion structures receive their specially insulated windows and glass walls. Each will be sealed with two techniques: slope glazing and butt glazing. Also, Bob looks at the homeowner's new potting benches, which were specially designed for the space by the architect and made to order in the wood shop.
- Part 1: Greenhouse Glass Installation
- Part 2: Bench Construction
- The wood has arrived for the perimeter benches, so Bob and contractor Bob Ryley begin constructing the architect-designed benches for the greenhouse. The wood is a cypress, which is excellent in damp environments.
- Part 3: Installing the Greenhouse Windows
Bob Vila heads to Cape Cod in the dead of winter to watch over the construction of a custom, high-tech greenhouse. The design and construction of a new addition to the front of an existing house afforded the creation of this conservatory and of a new front entry pavilion that features a mahogany pergola supported by limestone columns.
Also from Greenhouse
Bob begins the state-of-the-art greenhouse project by visiting Boston's most famous solarium, that of the quirky and romantic Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. Back at the project site, Bob meets the homeowner, tours the existing house, and discusses plans for the addition with the architect. Contractor Bob Ryley begins demolition.
The custom-made steel uprights that will support the weight of the greenhouse arrive, and, soon after, they are attached to the foundation. Rigid insulation is also added to retain heat, even in the dead of winter. Bob takes a walk down Boston's Commonwealth Avenue for a look at two upscale solariums from the last century-- one at Burrage House, the other at Webster House.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers