- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Ranch Expansion > Episode 3: Framing and Cutting Rafters
Touring "Old Ironsides"
Project: Ranch Expansion, Episode 3, Part 2
Bob reviews the process of framing the new first floor layout, then takes a tour of another project in the works: the U.S.S. Constitution, in drydock for repairs in Boston Harbor. Returning to Wayland, contractor Bob Ryley explains how the rafters are cut for the new roof.
- Part 1: Framing the First Floor
- Part 2: Touring "Old Ironsides"
- Bob meets with a project manager for the restoration of the U.S.S. Constitution, "Old Ironsides", dry-docked in Boston Harbor. They review the 21-inch-thick hull walls, the timbers in the keel, and the copper plating on the outside of the hull.
- Part 3: Home Addition and Construction Timeline
- Part 4: Raising Gable Ends and Cutting Rafters
Bob takes on the expansion of a 35 year-old ranch house in Wayland, MA. With an eye on the budget, projects include European kitchen cabinets, a state-of-the-art closet system for the master bedroom, custom built-in bookshelves, an eye-catching fan detail on the front façade, and a private deck off the master bedroom.
ALL EPISODES IN RANCH EXPANSION
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
How often do termite queens lay eggs?