- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Ranch Expansion > Episode 19: Building a Stair Rail and Bookshelves
Building a Custom Stair Railing
Project: Ranch Expansion, Episode 19, Part 1
Bob reviews the new custom stair rail, then meets contractor Bob Ryley to see the built-in bookshelves. Bob flashes back to the workshop, where Ryley made the shelves. And in Columbus, Ohio, Bob makes the first of four visits to a special sister project-- an urban playground put together with the help of community volunteers.
- Part 1: Building a Custom Stair Railing
- The carpenter explains details of the stair railing to Bob. For example, using a mortise joint adds strength and rigidity to the railing, while using a biscuit joiner makes short work of the cutting.
- Part 2: Custom Built-in Bookshelf Unit
- Part 3: Building a Playground, Part 1
Bob takes on the expansion of a 35 year-old ranch house in Wayland, MA. With an eye on the budget, projects include European kitchen cabinets, a state-of-the-art closet system for the master bedroom, custom built-in bookshelves, an eye-catching fan detail on the front façade, and a private deck off the master bedroom.
ALL EPISODES IN RANCH EXPANSION
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
How often do termite queens lay eggs?