- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Chicago Coach House > Episode 2: Plans Discussed and Demolition Begins
Bob discusses plans for the coach house with architect Mike Morgan and general contractor Ron Gan. Brick worker Dan Webb explains how the brick facade is power-washed to remove several layers of ugly paint.
A coach house in Chicago is reborn! This project includes gutting and rebuilding the interior structure, finishing the basement, and adding a roof dormer. Local artists even show Bob how to give the newly renovated home some panache with a creative, Chicago-style decorating approach and faux-finish painting techniques.
Also from Chicago Coach House
Bob and general contractor Ron Gan assess the next project: a deserted old coach house. They discover several clues as to how the renovation should be done, and Bob pokes around in the attic for treasures. Plus, architectural historian Susan Benjamin takes Bob on a tour of some of downtown Chicago's 19th-century landmark buildings.
General contractor Ron Gan explains how a ledger board is attached to the masonry wall to support ceiling joists. Plus, Ron and carpenter John Pringle demonstrate a simple way to build a set of winding stairs. Bob visits Dave Parker in Vancouver, BC to see how Parallam beams are manufactured.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects Anyone Can Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 9 "Killer" Ways to Eliminate Weeds
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- Designers Reveal Today's Top 10 Bath Remodeling Trends
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight