Leak in attic causing water damage
To repair a small area where the popcorn has come loose and cover a stain you can do this:
1. Scrape off all the popcorn that has come loose.
2. Use a can of spray paint made to cover stains such as “Kilz” to conceal the stain. Paint only the scraped area and do not allow the paint to hit the popcorn that was not damaged. (Most home improvement centers will carry this in the paint department.)
3. After the paint has dried completely, use a can (or 2 if needed) of spray texture to apply a new coat of popcorn finish over the painted area (spray only the flat area you scraped). Do not use it over any areas that still have the popcorn in place or the texture will become too rough. This texture comes in a spray aerosol can in medium and large textures. Be sure to get the one that matches your ceiling. If you make a mistake you can easily remove the spray texture and try again. WHATEVER YOU DO USE SOME PLASTIC DROP CLOTHS AND COVER EVERYTHING! This spray is under high pressure and will fly everywhere. Wear protection on your eyes, a hat, and even make a poncho from the plastic to cover yourself. It is messy but it does work well. I have used it on numerous occasions. Most home improvement centers also carry this product. I buy it at ***** and Home Depot all the time.
If you need to replace some drywall and want to learn how to do it yourself; go to the Expert Advise area of this website and you can hire a professional to assist you.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight