Leak in attic causing water damage
To repair a small area where the popcorn has come loose and cover a stain you can do this:
1. Scrape off all the popcorn that has come loose.
2. Use a can of spray paint made to cover stains such as “Kilz” to conceal the stain. Paint only the scraped area and do not allow the paint to hit the popcorn that was not damaged. (Most home improvement centers will carry this in the paint department.)
3. After the paint has dried completely, use a can (or 2 if needed) of spray texture to apply a new coat of popcorn finish over the painted area (spray only the flat area you scraped). Do not use it over any areas that still have the popcorn in place or the texture will become too rough. This texture comes in a spray aerosol can in medium and large textures. Be sure to get the one that matches your ceiling. If you make a mistake you can easily remove the spray texture and try again. WHATEVER YOU DO USE SOME PLASTIC DROP CLOTHS AND COVER EVERYTHING! This spray is under high pressure and will fly everywhere. Wear protection on your eyes, a hat, and even make a poncho from the plastic to cover yourself. It is messy but it does work well. I have used it on numerous occasions. Most home improvement centers also carry this product. I buy it at ***** and Home Depot all the time.
If you need to replace some drywall and want to learn how to do it yourself; go to the Expert Advise area of this website and you can hire a professional to assist you.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes