cracked interior doors
Are they joints that are openning up from the old glue losing it's umph or are they splits in the wood of the panel sections in the middle of the door?
The former requires good judgement, glue, and clamps
The latter can have several causes - Paint lock, dry climate, porr constuction, misuse, etc. Are these painted or clear finish?
Panels in doors are intended to 'float'. This is because wood will expand and contract with the seasons. If the panels are glued so as to be fixed in place, they will either puch the other joints apart or split when shrinking. When building a door, you always seal the edges of the panels to help keep moisture out and then be sure not to get glue on it.
I suspect that when you painted, you inadvertantly securedthe panel in place, ofrcing it to split instaaed of moving with shrinkage. It can be as simple as some paint getting into the rail runway and acting like glue. Or you may have done some repairs that led to the same condition.
Try using a sharp utility knife to barely slit the paint edge where the panel meets the frame. Then wait for a few days.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps