cracked interior doors
Are they joints that are openning up from the old glue losing it's umph or are they splits in the wood of the panel sections in the middle of the door?
The former requires good judgement, glue, and clamps
The latter can have several causes - Paint lock, dry climate, porr constuction, misuse, etc. Are these painted or clear finish?
Panels in doors are intended to 'float'. This is because wood will expand and contract with the seasons. If the panels are glued so as to be fixed in place, they will either puch the other joints apart or split when shrinking. When building a door, you always seal the edges of the panels to help keep moisture out and then be sure not to get glue on it.
I suspect that when you painted, you inadvertantly securedthe panel in place, ofrcing it to split instaaed of moving with shrinkage. It can be as simple as some paint getting into the rail runway and acting like glue. Or you may have done some repairs that led to the same condition.
Try using a sharp utility knife to barely slit the paint edge where the panel meets the frame. Then wait for a few days.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- How to Refinish a Dresser
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY