cracked interior doors
Are they joints that are openning up from the old glue losing it's umph or are they splits in the wood of the panel sections in the middle of the door?
The former requires good judgement, glue, and clamps
The latter can have several causes - Paint lock, dry climate, porr constuction, misuse, etc. Are these painted or clear finish?
Panels in doors are intended to 'float'. This is because wood will expand and contract with the seasons. If the panels are glued so as to be fixed in place, they will either puch the other joints apart or split when shrinking. When building a door, you always seal the edges of the panels to help keep moisture out and then be sure not to get glue on it.
I suspect that when you painted, you inadvertantly securedthe panel in place, ofrcing it to split instaaed of moving with shrinkage. It can be as simple as some paint getting into the rail runway and acting like glue. Or you may have done some repairs that led to the same condition.
Try using a sharp utility knife to barely slit the paint edge where the panel meets the frame. Then wait for a few days.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!