cracked interior doors
Are they joints that are openning up from the old glue losing it's umph or are they splits in the wood of the panel sections in the middle of the door?
The former requires good judgement, glue, and clamps
The latter can have several causes - Paint lock, dry climate, porr constuction, misuse, etc. Are these painted or clear finish?
Panels in doors are intended to 'float'. This is because wood will expand and contract with the seasons. If the panels are glued so as to be fixed in place, they will either puch the other joints apart or split when shrinking. When building a door, you always seal the edges of the panels to help keep moisture out and then be sure not to get glue on it.
I suspect that when you painted, you inadvertantly securedthe panel in place, ofrcing it to split instaaed of moving with shrinkage. It can be as simple as some paint getting into the rail runway and acting like glue. Or you may have done some repairs that led to the same condition.
Try using a sharp utility knife to barely slit the paint edge where the panel meets the frame. Then wait for a few days.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees