We own a 40 year old home and need to replace the original sliding glass door that leads to our patio. It occationally comes off track whenever someone slams it and the screen door doesn't work well at all. The main reason it needs replacing is that it doesn't fully close, meaning we are losing a lot in energy costs. Because of these problems, I am hesitant to replace it with another sliding glass door. I don't want to replace the door and then just have these problems reoccur. My question is, are these problems inherent with sliding glass doors or is mine just showing it's age. Are the new ones better at staying on track, etc. I have considered french doors but have been told they are notorious for leaking. Also, what brands are of good quality but not too expensive. Thanks for any input
The new sliding glass doors are very energy efficient compared to the old ones, and are actually tighter than french doors for air infiltration. Just be sure to stick to a well known name door such as Pella, Andersen, or Marvin. Pella Pro Line and Andersen are available at ***** or **********. The Pellas in particular are constructed the same as their more expensive Designer windows and doors, but without all the bells and whistles.
inside condensation on aluminum frame sliding glass ...
Replacement Windows.....how much is too much?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight