hello and thanks in advance -
I have an 'above ground' basement apartment - well, it's sort of above ground, in that the land slopes, so the front of the house foundation is on the ground, and the rear of the house is about 4 feet above the ground (cement wall all around this part). So the flooring is close to the ground up front and the joists are about 3-4 feet above ground in the back.
I recently bought this house, gutted the apartment, there was mouse droppings everywhere, so took it down to studs and am renovating from there.
We have had a humid summer and I can see the moisture on the plywood (uncovered subfloor) which is coming from the crawl space (I haven't put the insulation/floor down yet).
I had sealed up all the gaps between all the studs on exterior walls (mouse-proofing, so to speak), and I went outside and cut three four-inch holes in the sill plate so the crawl space could breathe (two on the back and one on the only exposed side). It's breathing a bit, but there's no draft/wind, so the floor is still showing the moisture.
Before I put down the floor insulation and flooring, I'm afraid it will only get moist every summer and eventually mould/rot/smell.
How do I ventilate the crawl space better?
I could cut holes in the cement wall out back, but how many is safe, and how many will actually do the trick? there is no chance of wind moving the air, one side of the house is attached to another house, the other side is close to another house, the front is under ground.
New home crawl space
Vent in crawl space make waterproofing in Basement d...
Crawl space too small
Crawl Space Problems
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!