hello and thanks in advance -
I have an 'above ground' basement apartment - well, it's sort of above ground, in that the land slopes, so the front of the house foundation is on the ground, and the rear of the house is about 4 feet above the ground (cement wall all around this part). So the flooring is close to the ground up front and the joists are about 3-4 feet above ground in the back.
I recently bought this house, gutted the apartment, there was mouse droppings everywhere, so took it down to studs and am renovating from there.
We have had a humid summer and I can see the moisture on the plywood (uncovered subfloor) which is coming from the crawl space (I haven't put the insulation/floor down yet).
I had sealed up all the gaps between all the studs on exterior walls (mouse-proofing, so to speak), and I went outside and cut three four-inch holes in the sill plate so the crawl space could breathe (two on the back and one on the only exposed side). It's breathing a bit, but there's no draft/wind, so the floor is still showing the moisture.
Before I put down the floor insulation and flooring, I'm afraid it will only get moist every summer and eventually mould/rot/smell.
How do I ventilate the crawl space better?
I could cut holes in the cement wall out back, but how many is safe, and how many will actually do the trick? there is no chance of wind moving the air, one side of the house is attached to another house, the other side is close to another house, the front is under ground.
New home crawl space
Vent in crawl space make waterproofing in Basement d...
Crawl space too small
Crawl Space Problems
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!