hello and thanks in advance -
I have an 'above ground' basement apartment - well, it's sort of above ground, in that the land slopes, so the front of the house foundation is on the ground, and the rear of the house is about 4 feet above the ground (cement wall all around this part). So the flooring is close to the ground up front and the joists are about 3-4 feet above ground in the back.
I recently bought this house, gutted the apartment, there was mouse droppings everywhere, so took it down to studs and am renovating from there.
We have had a humid summer and I can see the moisture on the plywood (uncovered subfloor) which is coming from the crawl space (I haven't put the insulation/floor down yet).
I had sealed up all the gaps between all the studs on exterior walls (mouse-proofing, so to speak), and I went outside and cut three four-inch holes in the sill plate so the crawl space could breathe (two on the back and one on the only exposed side). It's breathing a bit, but there's no draft/wind, so the floor is still showing the moisture.
Before I put down the floor insulation and flooring, I'm afraid it will only get moist every summer and eventually mould/rot/smell.
How do I ventilate the crawl space better?
I could cut holes in the cement wall out back, but how many is safe, and how many will actually do the trick? there is no chance of wind moving the air, one side of the house is attached to another house, the other side is close to another house, the front is under ground.
New home crawl space
Vent in crawl space make waterproofing in Basement d...
Crawl space too small
Crawl Space Problems
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs