mildew on floor joists & bottom-side of subflooring
The first question I have is: How sure are you that the mold/mildew has 'stopped' forming? In other words, if it's STILL 'growing', then it's getting fed.
What I mean by fed is that mold/mildew thrive under certain conditions. Relatively high humidity, relatively warm temperatures, and relatively 'stable air' will keep the garden growing. If you dramatically reduce, or better yet eliminate, one or more of these conditions, your problem may go away. However, until you're sure that your problem isn't being fed, my suggestion may only work for a limited time.
So, assuming this is a 1-time 'fix', mix a solution that's relative to 1 cup of Bleach to 1 gallon of Water. (If you're using a pint of water, use 1/8 cup of bleach.) You can certainly go heavier than what I'm recommending based on how bad your problem is but, in short, pure Bleach isn't necessary (nor is anything near that saturation.)
Spray the mixture on the area and wait 5-15 minutes. Spray it until it drips a little (so be sure you cover the floor w/newspaper, or something.) Then, spray it a 2nd time and wait again. THEN, wipe it off w/a rag. Rinse the rag regularly and thoroughly, making sure the water (if it's in a bucket) is kept clean.
If, after a few weeks you see the problem return, then you'll know that the problem wasn't a 1-time problem. This is where you need to look at what's feeding the problem and decide which 'variable(s)' you're gonna change to 'fix' it on a more permanent basis.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?