mildew on floor joists & bottom-side of subflooring
The first question I have is: How sure are you that the mold/mildew has 'stopped' forming? In other words, if it's STILL 'growing', then it's getting fed.
What I mean by fed is that mold/mildew thrive under certain conditions. Relatively high humidity, relatively warm temperatures, and relatively 'stable air' will keep the garden growing. If you dramatically reduce, or better yet eliminate, one or more of these conditions, your problem may go away. However, until you're sure that your problem isn't being fed, my suggestion may only work for a limited time.
So, assuming this is a 1-time 'fix', mix a solution that's relative to 1 cup of Bleach to 1 gallon of Water. (If you're using a pint of water, use 1/8 cup of bleach.) You can certainly go heavier than what I'm recommending based on how bad your problem is but, in short, pure Bleach isn't necessary (nor is anything near that saturation.)
Spray the mixture on the area and wait 5-15 minutes. Spray it until it drips a little (so be sure you cover the floor w/newspaper, or something.) Then, spray it a 2nd time and wait again. THEN, wipe it off w/a rag. Rinse the rag regularly and thoroughly, making sure the water (if it's in a bucket) is kept clean.
If, after a few weeks you see the problem return, then you'll know that the problem wasn't a 1-time problem. This is where you need to look at what's feeding the problem and decide which 'variable(s)' you're gonna change to 'fix' it on a more permanent basis.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps