mildew on floor joists & bottom-side of subflooring
The first question I have is: How sure are you that the mold/mildew has 'stopped' forming? In other words, if it's STILL 'growing', then it's getting fed.
What I mean by fed is that mold/mildew thrive under certain conditions. Relatively high humidity, relatively warm temperatures, and relatively 'stable air' will keep the garden growing. If you dramatically reduce, or better yet eliminate, one or more of these conditions, your problem may go away. However, until you're sure that your problem isn't being fed, my suggestion may only work for a limited time.
So, assuming this is a 1-time 'fix', mix a solution that's relative to 1 cup of Bleach to 1 gallon of Water. (If you're using a pint of water, use 1/8 cup of bleach.) You can certainly go heavier than what I'm recommending based on how bad your problem is but, in short, pure Bleach isn't necessary (nor is anything near that saturation.)
Spray the mixture on the area and wait 5-15 minutes. Spray it until it drips a little (so be sure you cover the floor w/newspaper, or something.) Then, spray it a 2nd time and wait again. THEN, wipe it off w/a rag. Rinse the rag regularly and thoroughly, making sure the water (if it's in a bucket) is kept clean.
If, after a few weeks you see the problem return, then you'll know that the problem wasn't a 1-time problem. This is where you need to look at what's feeding the problem and decide which 'variable(s)' you're gonna change to 'fix' it on a more permanent basis.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects