DEFINITION OF 2 STORY HOUSE
Usually, the term 'story' has much to do with habitable space, and not attic, or unused space. The definition and regulations for or against stories above a certain number come from the fire department, insurance, and life/safety concerns based on available local fire fighting abilities and equipment. In that case, the 'attic' or uninhabited space above your neighbors second floor space would not constitute a third story. But if the word 'story' is defined in terms of building height, your neighbor may have an issue with it.
Bottom line is, don't depend on a strict definition or yes/no answer to your question here. Look into your local development covenants (if they exist) or your local zoning code for the answer.
I think Treebeard is correct--you can't really expect a definitive 'yes/no' answer here. But some covenant-controlled communities attach view protection covenants to certain lots. (This explains some of the flat-roof construction in certain hilly areas.) These (from what I understand) are quite specific regarding the exact building limits (in FEET, not STORIES) for specific lots. That's probably some pretty good view protection....but I don't suppose your neighbor's house has any such restriction(?)
Best of luck,
[This message has been edited by k2 (edited November 24, 2003).]
What type of insect? Small piles like coffee grounds.
Adding on to 2 story house
Soundproofing interior walls
Simple 2 Story House Plans??
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 10 Secret Rooms & Passages in Ordinary Homes
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers