DEFINITION OF 2 STORY HOUSE
Usually, the term 'story' has much to do with habitable space, and not attic, or unused space. The definition and regulations for or against stories above a certain number come from the fire department, insurance, and life/safety concerns based on available local fire fighting abilities and equipment. In that case, the 'attic' or uninhabited space above your neighbors second floor space would not constitute a third story. But if the word 'story' is defined in terms of building height, your neighbor may have an issue with it.
Bottom line is, don't depend on a strict definition or yes/no answer to your question here. Look into your local development covenants (if they exist) or your local zoning code for the answer.
I think Treebeard is correct--you can't really expect a definitive 'yes/no' answer here. But some covenant-controlled communities attach view protection covenants to certain lots. (This explains some of the flat-roof construction in certain hilly areas.) These (from what I understand) are quite specific regarding the exact building limits (in FEET, not STORIES) for specific lots. That's probably some pretty good view protection....but I don't suppose your neighbor's house has any such restriction(?)
Best of luck,
[This message has been edited by k2 (edited November 24, 2003).]
What type of insect? Small piles like coffee grounds.
Adding on to 2 story house
Soundproofing interior walls
Simple 2 Story House Plans??
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING