Foundations and Walls
I am looking at moving to the USA and building my own house...my question is why dont American houses have either of the above?.
Your earlier questioner seems to be having a 'rising damp' problem...
Well, depending on where one lives, DPCs and DPMs aren't needed. At the same time, depending on where one lives, basements aren't permitted. And again at the same time, sometimes piers are REQUIRED or foundations and footings are prohibited. The long and short of it is 1) American building codes have to be different from EVERYONES (because that's 'our' nature), and 2) environmental conditions here (with probably the exception of the extreme NorthWest), are not the same as in GB. (Kinda just kidding with Item #1 ...)
Anyways, the local codes will 'drive' most of what you can and can't do when it comes to building. Beyond that, if you use materials for 'prevention issues' that aren't required BUT are OK w/the code, the Inspector won't stop you. For example, it may not be required that you lay a DPM under the gravel for an outdoor patio, BUT, if you want to do that as part of your moisture control, you can. The same goes for installing drain tile around the foundation perimeter. Again, as long as what you do isn't a violation of some Code, you shouldn't be 'cited' for that.
I hope this info helps. I do wish you well. You know where to find us. When you do get here, welcome to America!!! My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: You might want to consider buying a book or 2 about Building Your Own Home. Amazon.com has TONS of them. (It might be $$$ well spent.) Try to find a book that 'addresses' the type of home you want, the type of conditions you will be working in, and the type of materials you will be using ...
PPS: God Bless America, and GB too!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes