Foundations and Walls
I am looking at moving to the USA and building my own house...my question is why dont American houses have either of the above?.
Your earlier questioner seems to be having a 'rising damp' problem...
Well, depending on where one lives, DPCs and DPMs aren't needed. At the same time, depending on where one lives, basements aren't permitted. And again at the same time, sometimes piers are REQUIRED or foundations and footings are prohibited. The long and short of it is 1) American building codes have to be different from EVERYONES (because that's 'our' nature), and 2) environmental conditions here (with probably the exception of the extreme NorthWest), are not the same as in GB. (Kinda just kidding with Item #1 ...)
Anyways, the local codes will 'drive' most of what you can and can't do when it comes to building. Beyond that, if you use materials for 'prevention issues' that aren't required BUT are OK w/the code, the Inspector won't stop you. For example, it may not be required that you lay a DPM under the gravel for an outdoor patio, BUT, if you want to do that as part of your moisture control, you can. The same goes for installing drain tile around the foundation perimeter. Again, as long as what you do isn't a violation of some Code, you shouldn't be 'cited' for that.
I hope this info helps. I do wish you well. You know where to find us. When you do get here, welcome to America!!! My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: You might want to consider buying a book or 2 about Building Your Own Home. Amazon.com has TONS of them. (It might be $$$ well spent.) Try to find a book that 'addresses' the type of home you want, the type of conditions you will be working in, and the type of materials you will be using ...
PPS: God Bless America, and GB too!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers