Foundations and Walls
I am looking at moving to the USA and building my own house...my question is why dont American houses have either of the above?.
Your earlier questioner seems to be having a 'rising damp' problem...
Well, depending on where one lives, DPCs and DPMs aren't needed. At the same time, depending on where one lives, basements aren't permitted. And again at the same time, sometimes piers are REQUIRED or foundations and footings are prohibited. The long and short of it is 1) American building codes have to be different from EVERYONES (because that's 'our' nature), and 2) environmental conditions here (with probably the exception of the extreme NorthWest), are not the same as in GB. (Kinda just kidding with Item #1 ...)
Anyways, the local codes will 'drive' most of what you can and can't do when it comes to building. Beyond that, if you use materials for 'prevention issues' that aren't required BUT are OK w/the code, the Inspector won't stop you. For example, it may not be required that you lay a DPM under the gravel for an outdoor patio, BUT, if you want to do that as part of your moisture control, you can. The same goes for installing drain tile around the foundation perimeter. Again, as long as what you do isn't a violation of some Code, you shouldn't be 'cited' for that.
I hope this info helps. I do wish you well. You know where to find us. When you do get here, welcome to America!!! My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: You might want to consider buying a book or 2 about Building Your Own Home. Amazon.com has TONS of them. (It might be $$$ well spent.) Try to find a book that 'addresses' the type of home you want, the type of conditions you will be working in, and the type of materials you will be using ...
PPS: God Bless America, and GB too!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs