pouring and leveling a concrete slab patio
I have the 'funny feeling' you hired the cheapest Pro. Perhaps now is the time to pay this one off (for at least framing the job), and hiring a NEW contractor.
You absolutely want gravel on the base. Anything from a driveway to a foundation needs to be drained. This is the MAIN purpose for the gravel. Also, consider some steel mesh to help 'hold' the concrete together. (It may be an extra cost but at that thickness, it's well worth it.) I hope he isn't tying the patio to the house. If it DOES want to move, it will pull the house w/it. I recommend no. DO READ the Post before your post on the Concrete WEB Page. In there, I speak of some same thoughts that would apply to you as well.
As for smoothing out the pour, there are a couple of way which I wouldn't be too worried about. Trowling or Skimming or Floating are just a few methods, among others. Do read the previous Poster's post w/my Reply. I think you'll find it useful.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
How do I remove a concrete slab?
How do I find out if I have a moisture problem on my...
Dirt coming out from underneath concrete slab
Concrete shower floor
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Plant Containers to Make with Everyday Items
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Easy Ways to Revitalize Outdoor Furniture
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda