pouring and leveling a concrete slab patio
I have the 'funny feeling' you hired the cheapest Pro. Perhaps now is the time to pay this one off (for at least framing the job), and hiring a NEW contractor.
You absolutely want gravel on the base. Anything from a driveway to a foundation needs to be drained. This is the MAIN purpose for the gravel. Also, consider some steel mesh to help 'hold' the concrete together. (It may be an extra cost but at that thickness, it's well worth it.) I hope he isn't tying the patio to the house. If it DOES want to move, it will pull the house w/it. I recommend no. DO READ the Post before your post on the Concrete WEB Page. In there, I speak of some same thoughts that would apply to you as well.
As for smoothing out the pour, there are a couple of way which I wouldn't be too worried about. Trowling or Skimming or Floating are just a few methods, among others. Do read the previous Poster's post w/my Reply. I think you'll find it useful.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
How do I remove a concrete slab?
How do I find out if I have a moisture problem on my...
Dirt coming out from underneath concrete slab
Concrete shower floor
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!