pouring and leveling a concrete slab patio
I have the 'funny feeling' you hired the cheapest Pro. Perhaps now is the time to pay this one off (for at least framing the job), and hiring a NEW contractor.
You absolutely want gravel on the base. Anything from a driveway to a foundation needs to be drained. This is the MAIN purpose for the gravel. Also, consider some steel mesh to help 'hold' the concrete together. (It may be an extra cost but at that thickness, it's well worth it.) I hope he isn't tying the patio to the house. If it DOES want to move, it will pull the house w/it. I recommend no. DO READ the Post before your post on the Concrete WEB Page. In there, I speak of some same thoughts that would apply to you as well.
As for smoothing out the pour, there are a couple of way which I wouldn't be too worried about. Trowling or Skimming or Floating are just a few methods, among others. Do read the previous Poster's post w/my Reply. I think you'll find it useful.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
How do I remove a concrete slab?
How do I find out if I have a moisture problem on my...
Dirt coming out from underneath concrete slab
Concrete shower floor
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!