pouring and leveling a concrete slab patio
I have the 'funny feeling' you hired the cheapest Pro. Perhaps now is the time to pay this one off (for at least framing the job), and hiring a NEW contractor.
You absolutely want gravel on the base. Anything from a driveway to a foundation needs to be drained. This is the MAIN purpose for the gravel. Also, consider some steel mesh to help 'hold' the concrete together. (It may be an extra cost but at that thickness, it's well worth it.) I hope he isn't tying the patio to the house. If it DOES want to move, it will pull the house w/it. I recommend no. DO READ the Post before your post on the Concrete WEB Page. In there, I speak of some same thoughts that would apply to you as well.
As for smoothing out the pour, there are a couple of way which I wouldn't be too worried about. Trowling or Skimming or Floating are just a few methods, among others. Do read the previous Poster's post w/my Reply. I think you'll find it useful.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
How do I remove a concrete slab?
How do I find out if I have a moisture problem on my...
Dirt coming out from underneath concrete slab
Concrete shower floor
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- 11 DIYs for A Soundproofed Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates