I need some help quickly with a few general zero-clr fireplace questions:
Is a stone or precast concrete cap supported over a chimney considered a "decorative shroud" and as such would it not be allowed with a listed fireplace/chimney system? Can that type of look only be used with masonry fireplaces?
What do most people do to cap the top of the chimney especially covering manufactured stone veneer? Hearth/cap stones, mortar bed, fabricated sheet metal? How do you spec all these?
Firestops are required at floor/ceiling penetrations. Is this required if the chimney is mounted exterior of the building envelope entirely?
What is the proper way to handle insulation (Western Washington) for a fireplace contained completely within the building envelope (i.e. centered in a room as a focal piece) and externally mounted?
All help is greatly appreciated.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes