I need some help quickly with a few general zero-clr fireplace questions:
Is a stone or precast concrete cap supported over a chimney considered a "decorative shroud" and as such would it not be allowed with a listed fireplace/chimney system? Can that type of look only be used with masonry fireplaces?
What do most people do to cap the top of the chimney especially covering manufactured stone veneer? Hearth/cap stones, mortar bed, fabricated sheet metal? How do you spec all these?
Firestops are required at floor/ceiling penetrations. Is this required if the chimney is mounted exterior of the building envelope entirely?
What is the proper way to handle insulation (Western Washington) for a fireplace contained completely within the building envelope (i.e. centered in a room as a focal piece) and externally mounted?
All help is greatly appreciated.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!