I need some help quickly with a few general zero-clr fireplace questions:
Is a stone or precast concrete cap supported over a chimney considered a "decorative shroud" and as such would it not be allowed with a listed fireplace/chimney system? Can that type of look only be used with masonry fireplaces?
What do most people do to cap the top of the chimney especially covering manufactured stone veneer? Hearth/cap stones, mortar bed, fabricated sheet metal? How do you spec all these?
Firestops are required at floor/ceiling penetrations. Is this required if the chimney is mounted exterior of the building envelope entirely?
What is the proper way to handle insulation (Western Washington) for a fireplace contained completely within the building envelope (i.e. centered in a room as a focal piece) and externally mounted?
All help is greatly appreciated.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Celebrity Kitchens: Get the Look
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs