We live in a townhouse built in the 80's. One of the upstairs toilets has been giving us problems of not flushing and constant running. My husband replaced all the flappers in the three bathrooms(with a universal flapper) and now they all won't flush all the way. The tank empties out fast and first. A neighbor who's a plumber came over & replaced one flapper with a black one and snaked from the roof. The snake was visable in the trap on the ground, so there is no stoppage. We were advised to replace all the floats in the tank. Any other suggestions, or should that take care of our problem? Thank you for any advise.
I would replace everything inside the toilet with fluidmaster universal replacement parts. I think that is the name. It's very easy to do. You should be able to get the parts from the local hardware or home improvement store. On the replacement part I bought the flapper has an adjustment that allows you to flush more or less. The flapper doesn't have numbers on it indicating shorter or longer flushes. Does it?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes