We live in a townhouse built in the 80's. One of the upstairs toilets has been giving us problems of not flushing and constant running. My husband replaced all the flappers in the three bathrooms(with a universal flapper) and now they all won't flush all the way. The tank empties out fast and first. A neighbor who's a plumber came over & replaced one flapper with a black one and snaked from the roof. The snake was visable in the trap on the ground, so there is no stoppage. We were advised to replace all the floats in the tank. Any other suggestions, or should that take care of our problem? Thank you for any advise.
I would replace everything inside the toilet with fluidmaster universal replacement parts. I think that is the name. It's very easy to do. You should be able to get the parts from the local hardware or home improvement store. On the replacement part I bought the flapper has an adjustment that allows you to flush more or less. The flapper doesn't have numbers on it indicating shorter or longer flushes. Does it?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!