My young daughter and I have lived in a 1950s rental home for two years now. For quite some time, I have been concerned about the home we're in... ...both bedrooms have popcorn ceilings (which apparently are flaking, as each night there are "crumbs" on our beds) ...the living room, kitchen and hallway ceilings have what may be asbestos tiles ...the living room, kitchen and hallway floors have dark, almost black, vinyl/asphalt tiles (identical to the ones pictured in this thread) and the floor tiles are broken/chipped all along the walls and in the door thresholds (I believe that's what they're called) going into each bedroom ...the house is made of concrete, with the exception of one interior wall separating one bedroom from the living room and two interior walls separating the bathroom from the adjacent bedrooms ...the house has a musty smell ...the bedroom closet containing the bathtub access panel reeks--any clothing, shoes and the like left in there for only a few weeks smell musty; also, there is a 2'x4' area on one of the closet walls in this closet that appears to be moldy ...the bathroom window--covered in black and white tiles--always has black mold growing on it (the mold is also in between two window panes) ...the bathroom toilet "sweats" continually ...the kitchen cabinets--most of them--have a gray-colored mold growing on the inner concrete wall near the ceiling (the cabinets were attached directly to the concrete wall) ...the original 1950s hot water heater was finally replaced only two weeks ago ...the water pipes running under the house (from the kitchen to the bathroom) are corroded (the plumber who replaced the hot water heater said that the reason my washing machine "drain water" was backing up into the drain pipe and flooding my kitchen was due to a pipe underneath the home that had broken; he said he used a snake to unclog all of the mud--or something like that--that had gotten into the pipe, which was why I hadn't had hot water in my home for two weeks; needless to say, I have a "slum landlord") I may be forgetting other items of importance, but with what I have provided here, could this house be contributing to the overall ill feelings that my daughter and I have? In September, we were out of town for three weeks, and while gone, we felt perfectly fine. In fact, whenever we are away from our home for more than a few hours, we begin feeling great. Oh! And we also have trouble breathing when we are inside our home.) Should I have all the suspected asbestos/lead problems inspected? My guess is, yes. Since my landlord does not care about the condition of this home and generally responds with anger at any requests to repair things, there is no need for me to ask him about paying for such inspections. Thank you for your help.
- Forum >
- Miscellaneous >
- Mom and child living in home with possible lead/asbestos materials...and black mold