OK... I will try to make a long story short. After kicking around broken tiles in our laundry room for about 5 yrs, we found out they contain 10% asbestos ... and completely freaked out!
The same tile is all over our basement (we use it as a living space every day). Since some of the tile was already breaking apart and some of them were warping we decided to have all of it professionally removed. So... the guys in moon suits came and hauled it all away.
Here's my concern... they had very difficult time removing about 1/2 tiles (or about 500 sq ft) and ended up breaking them with a hammer in (lots of) small pieces in other to get them up. I am now very worried that we ended up with more asbestos in the air then we had before.
Am I crazy (and am I worrying about nothing)? The area was sealed and they did have a couple of HEPA units sucking the air out of the basement. The (single) PCM reading after abatement was .006 f/cc.
Is there anything we can do to get rid of (any remaining) asbestos? I have been using a HEPA vacuum on the carpet we installed once the abatement was done. It says on it "true HEPA" but since it way fairly inexpensive I have no idea whether it is really sealed or not. Would an air purifier help? I am especially worried since I have little kids playing in the area every day.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!