OK... I will try to make a long story short. After kicking around broken tiles in our laundry room for about 5 yrs, we found out they contain 10% asbestos ... and completely freaked out!
The same tile is all over our basement (we use it as a living space every day). Since some of the tile was already breaking apart and some of them were warping we decided to have all of it professionally removed. So... the guys in moon suits came and hauled it all away.
Here's my concern... they had very difficult time removing about 1/2 tiles (or about 500 sq ft) and ended up breaking them with a hammer in (lots of) small pieces in other to get them up. I am now very worried that we ended up with more asbestos in the air then we had before.
Am I crazy (and am I worrying about nothing)? The area was sealed and they did have a couple of HEPA units sucking the air out of the basement. The (single) PCM reading after abatement was .006 f/cc.
Is there anything we can do to get rid of (any remaining) asbestos? I have been using a HEPA vacuum on the carpet we installed once the abatement was done. It says on it "true HEPA" but since it way fairly inexpensive I have no idea whether it is really sealed or not. Would an air purifier help? I am especially worried since I have little kids playing in the area every day.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects