OK... I will try to make a long story short. After kicking around broken tiles in our laundry room for about 5 yrs, we found out they contain 10% asbestos ... and completely freaked out!
The same tile is all over our basement (we use it as a living space every day). Since some of the tile was already breaking apart and some of them were warping we decided to have all of it professionally removed. So... the guys in moon suits came and hauled it all away.
Here's my concern... they had very difficult time removing about 1/2 tiles (or about 500 sq ft) and ended up breaking them with a hammer in (lots of) small pieces in other to get them up. I am now very worried that we ended up with more asbestos in the air then we had before.
Am I crazy (and am I worrying about nothing)? The area was sealed and they did have a couple of HEPA units sucking the air out of the basement. The (single) PCM reading after abatement was .006 f/cc.
Is there anything we can do to get rid of (any remaining) asbestos? I have been using a HEPA vacuum on the carpet we installed once the abatement was done. It says on it "true HEPA" but since it way fairly inexpensive I have no idea whether it is really sealed or not. Would an air purifier help? I am especially worried since I have little kids playing in the area every day.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them