OK... I will try to make a long story short. After kicking around broken tiles in our laundry room for about 5 yrs, we found out they contain 10% asbestos ... and completely freaked out!
The same tile is all over our basement (we use it as a living space every day). Since some of the tile was already breaking apart and some of them were warping we decided to have all of it professionally removed. So... the guys in moon suits came and hauled it all away.
Here's my concern... they had very difficult time removing about 1/2 tiles (or about 500 sq ft) and ended up breaking them with a hammer in (lots of) small pieces in other to get them up. I am now very worried that we ended up with more asbestos in the air then we had before.
Am I crazy (and am I worrying about nothing)? The area was sealed and they did have a couple of HEPA units sucking the air out of the basement. The (single) PCM reading after abatement was .006 f/cc.
Is there anything we can do to get rid of (any remaining) asbestos? I have been using a HEPA vacuum on the carpet we installed once the abatement was done. It says on it "true HEPA" but since it way fairly inexpensive I have no idea whether it is really sealed or not. Would an air purifier help? I am especially worried since I have little kids playing in the area every day.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps