Oil Hot water heating system
First off the Tarmac. You need to see how much wall you wish to open up. If your system is on one zone, then you need to isolate the first from the second floor. This you can do by installing a chase to the second floor. Make one circuit and drop down to the basement. Isolate the first floor and install a second zone valve. You will have two thermostats to deal with at this point. Locate a qualified Hydronic Heating contractor, as this type of endeavor is best accomplished by a proffesional. There are too many varibiles to contemplate in your situation. If I am not physically there to see your system, I can not accuratley define your problem.
Hydronic problems can seem overwhelming, but not for a professional.
If your boiler is sized correctly, and will handle the heat load, then it's just a matter of re-routing (read controlling) where the hot water goes, and when.
I have learned more than I will ever use, at www.heatinghelp.com Please ask your questions at "The Wall" then type in your Zip code at "Find a Contractor" and you will get all the help you need.
Heatinghelp is a lot like Bob's place, very friendly folk who give the best advice for free (not work )
Also visit Harold's place at Hydronic.net I think. Harold's site is a mine of information, as is he himself.
Good luck, and yes, God Bless America and you all.
Brian in Swampland (Louisiana, where it's as cold as the Noth Pole right now)
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Furniture Makeovers: 10 Total DIY Do-Overs
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them