Does anybody have experience with using geothermally-cooled water (water that is pumped through tubing buried in the earth to exchange heat with the surrounding soil) run through a radiant slab (embedded PEX tubing) to get air conditioning for only the cost of running the circulation pump?
I'm told that this will require dehumidification of the home to prevent condensation on the concrete slab floor, which makes sense. A dehumidifier (which is actually just a very small A/C unit) would draw fewer amps than central A/C, so unless the dehumidifier needs to run a lot more than central air would, this should provide a substantial cost savings.
This is for an extremely well-insulated (R-45 walls, R-60 roof) well-sealed single-story 1200 square feet home with solar heating of the water for radiant heat in the winter. Location: Southwest Virginia, humid summers. Flooring: Colored concrete. It won't take much extra to add the geothermal cooling and a humidistat-controlled dehumidifier, but I don't want to go down that road if someone has already been there and found problems with it.
Note: There are some geothermal systems which utilize heat pumps. This system will have no heat pump. The cooling will be provided strictly by circulating the water through the earth and then through the slab.
Any advice or suggestions, even if you don't have experience with such a set-up but you have expertise or insight, would be welcome. Thanks.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs