8-3 w/ground UF
I wired my house for a hot tub using 8-3 w/ground UF wire (from a 60 amp GCFI sub-panel to a 4hp hot tub motor). The inspector told me even if I have the UF wire in a conduit I have to bury it 12 inches. I bought PVC conduit pipe - it can be on top of the ground so why does it have to be buried? What does the NEC state as the requirement for the 8-3 UF wire from the sub-panel to the tub?
Direct burial cables (Type UF for example), must be buried 24" and non-metallic raceways (PVC) must be buried at least 18".
Your inspector is letting you off easy, your cable is too small for the breaker you are using. #8 cables should only be protected at 50 amps.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects