8-3 w/ground UF
I wired my house for a hot tub using 8-3 w/ground UF wire (from a 60 amp GCFI sub-panel to a 4hp hot tub motor). The inspector told me even if I have the UF wire in a conduit I have to bury it 12 inches. I bought PVC conduit pipe - it can be on top of the ground so why does it have to be buried? What does the NEC state as the requirement for the 8-3 UF wire from the sub-panel to the tub?
Direct burial cables (Type UF for example), must be buried 24" and non-metallic raceways (PVC) must be buried at least 18".
Your inspector is letting you off easy, your cable is too small for the breaker you are using. #8 cables should only be protected at 50 amps.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers