240 V Outlet
A standard 15-amp 120 volt socket (NEMA 5-15) will have two vertical parallel slots like this (| |) and also have a third round hole for the ground.
The wider slot connects to the white neutral conductor (grounded conductor) and the narrow slot connects to the black live (or hot) conductor.
You must make sure to preserve polarity when replacing these.
A 15-amp 240 volt socket (NEMA 6-15) will have two slots in tandem like this: - - plus a third round hole for the equipment ground conductor.
The 20 amp version (NEMA 6-20) will have one vertical and one horizontal (| -).
The colors of these wires (in the ones I've opened) are usually black and red. The green is always supposed to be used for GROUND.
Now here is where it gets confusing: The 120 volt/20 amp socket (NEMA 5-20) looks like this: (- |) - a mirror image of the 240 volt 20-amp socket.
A 120 volt socket must NEVER be used on a 240 volt circuit for just that reason - CONFUSION by an end user.
You might want to test all the outlets in your house and have an electrician replace whatever looks bogus (if you don't know how to do it).
Joe, feel free to correct me.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Furniture Makeovers: 10 Total DIY Do-Overs
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them