240 V Outlet
Not really a direct answer to your question....but the fact that you were able to plug a 120v appliance into a 240 is kind of scary. They are supposed to use entirely different kinds of plugs/outlets!
Since you recently purchased this place, it makes one wonder about whether this was disclosed, and the nature of the home inspection. One might wonder what ELSE is hidden. Here's to hoping that this turns out to be a minor issue, and that you have nothing else big 'lurking' there...good luck.
A standard 15-amp 120 volt socket (NEMA 5-15) will have two vertical parallel slots like this (| |) and also have a third round hole for the ground.
The wider slot connects to the white neutral conductor (grounded conductor) and the narrow slot connects to the black live (or hot) conductor.
You must make sure to preserve polarity when replacing these.
A 15-amp 240 volt socket (NEMA 6-15) will have two slots in tandem like this: - - plus a third round hole for the equipment ground conductor.
The 20 amp version (NEMA 6-20) will have one vertical and one horizontal (| -).
The colors of these wires (in the ones I've opened) are usually black and red. The green is always supposed to be used for GROUND.
Now here is where it gets confusing: The 120 volt/20 amp socket (NEMA 5-20) looks like this: (- |) - a mirror image of the 240 volt 20-amp socket.
A 120 volt socket must NEVER be used on a 240 volt circuit for just that reason - CONFUSION by an end user.
You might want to test all the outlets in your house and have an electrician replace whatever looks bogus (if you don't know how to do it).
Joe, feel free to correct me.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING