The previous owner put wallpaper over bare drywall. How can we remove this? I'm also afraid that they did the same thing in the bathroom but then painted over wallpaper too. How is this removed?
If you remove the wallpaper you will also remove the face paper of the drywall and then you will have to skim coat the whole wall. The best thing to do is just paint over it as long as it tight on the wall. You will need to prime the wallpaper with an oil based primer which will seal the ink in and block the moisture from the latex finish paint and this way it will become a part of the wall, which if you try to remove it you find out.
have the same problem. used a product called DIF although i think plain hot water will work the same. the key is to get the wall VERY wet and scrape...it is a messy, horrible job but needs to be done as painting over wallpaper is not ideal. i ended up taking off most of the drywall with several nicks and dings in the wall. i am now "remudding" in many of the areas using joint compound in a very thin layer. this can be primed and painted.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!