The previous owner put wallpaper over bare drywall. How can we remove this? I'm also afraid that they did the same thing in the bathroom but then painted over wallpaper too. How is this removed?
If you remove the wallpaper you will also remove the face paper of the drywall and then you will have to skim coat the whole wall. The best thing to do is just paint over it as long as it tight on the wall. You will need to prime the wallpaper with an oil based primer which will seal the ink in and block the moisture from the latex finish paint and this way it will become a part of the wall, which if you try to remove it you find out.
have the same problem. used a product called DIF although i think plain hot water will work the same. the key is to get the wall VERY wet and scrape...it is a messy, horrible job but needs to be done as painting over wallpaper is not ideal. i ended up taking off most of the drywall with several nicks and dings in the wall. i am now "remudding" in many of the areas using joint compound in a very thin layer. this can be primed and painted.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes