The previous owner put wallpaper over bare drywall. How can we remove this? I'm also afraid that they did the same thing in the bathroom but then painted over wallpaper too. How is this removed?
If you remove the wallpaper you will also remove the face paper of the drywall and then you will have to skim coat the whole wall. The best thing to do is just paint over it as long as it tight on the wall. You will need to prime the wallpaper with an oil based primer which will seal the ink in and block the moisture from the latex finish paint and this way it will become a part of the wall, which if you try to remove it you find out.
have the same problem. used a product called DIF although i think plain hot water will work the same. the key is to get the wall VERY wet and scrape...it is a messy, horrible job but needs to be done as painting over wallpaper is not ideal. i ended up taking off most of the drywall with several nicks and dings in the wall. i am now "remudding" in many of the areas using joint compound in a very thin layer. this can be primed and painted.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!