Tyvek VS Insulation
Tyvek is designed for new homes ONLY.
That said, adding 1/2 to 1" of foam insulation board over sheathing and under siding will do MUCH MUCH MORE than Tyvek ever can.
Best bang for the buck: NEVER Tyvek... ALWAYS foam board insulation.
Tyvek is not an insulation. It is an air barrier. It depends what you are trying to do and you give little information, leaing one to guess.
There is a foam insulation product designed for installing under the vinyl and AL siding, but it is primarily designed to lend support and shape to the siding. It has very little insulation value because it is so thin.
If you are considering adding an inch of solid foam sheathing to the house, it depends where you are in climate. You could do more harm than good to the house by trapping moisture. Tyvek can breathe enough to let that moisture escape.
If you are attempting to prevent wind blowing through the house and control drafting and convection heat loss, Tyvek can help and won't hurt.
how to integrate rigid foam insulation & rain-screen...
OSB vs insulation board behind brick
insulation under siding?
insulation under siding
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love