Tyvek VS Insulation
Tyvek is designed for new homes ONLY.
That said, adding 1/2 to 1" of foam insulation board over sheathing and under siding will do MUCH MUCH MORE than Tyvek ever can.
Best bang for the buck: NEVER Tyvek... ALWAYS foam board insulation.
Tyvek is not an insulation. It is an air barrier. It depends what you are trying to do and you give little information, leaing one to guess.
There is a foam insulation product designed for installing under the vinyl and AL siding, but it is primarily designed to lend support and shape to the siding. It has very little insulation value because it is so thin.
If you are considering adding an inch of solid foam sheathing to the house, it depends where you are in climate. You could do more harm than good to the house by trapping moisture. Tyvek can breathe enough to let that moisture escape.
If you are attempting to prevent wind blowing through the house and control drafting and convection heat loss, Tyvek can help and won't hurt.
how to integrate rigid foam insulation & rain-screen...
OSB vs insulation board behind brick
insulation under siding?
insulation under siding
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING