We're planning on putting down some of Costco's Harmonics laminate over an existing vinyl floor. I've gone over the floor with a 3' level and there are a number of "ridges" in various places where the floor is definitely un-level more than allowed. How do I deal with this? If I cut out sections of the vinyl in these areas, would that do the trick?
OK, well, here's the situation-- I did cut out a piece of the vinyl and it looks like it will be enough to flatten out the high spot (though I think I will also put a few screws in). But do I now need to smooth over the edges and the old adhesive with floor compound or something so it's a smooth area? Or will the underlayment take care of that?
Underlayment should be able to soak up the thickness of the old vinyl. Since we don't know what underlayment you are using, you can do a quick experiment. Just unroll your underlayment over the affected area and lay some floor down. If flex is not excessive, pick it up and start laying out the floor. If you notice a gap, go to plan B to feather out the depth. You can practice laying floor (I assume it snaps together and comes apart) anywhere you have similar doubts.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!