Hi all; hope everyone is enjoying a good holiday.
I posted earlier this year about needing to refloor my home. We have three incontinent dogs (they're allegedly housebroken, but no one has been able to convince them of it). We've already lost a laminate floor to them, after the big box who sold and installed it promised it would stand up to their abuse (and yes, we told them about the canine incontinence), but the flooring manufacturer turned down our warranty filing. So now we've resorted to crating them -- it seems cruel, but it does protect the floor. However, we still need to replace the flooring.
When I bought the laminate in 2001, one of the associates (not a salesman) told me he was getting ready to put a new moisture-barrier carpet in his home. I'm thinking seriously about that, because as pretty as the laminate is, it just doesn't offer the warmth, softness and soundproofing that carpet does. The dogs ruined the original carpet in the house, but as it was 15-year-old contractor grade and didn't match throughout the house, that wasn't much of a loss. I've done a Google search and come up with two leading makers with moisture barriers -- Dupont and Mannington.
My questions are: does anyone have any experience with this type of carpet? Does it really live up to its promises? If so, do you recommend one brand over the other, or another brand entirely?
BTW, we haven't installed a dog door, which they would probably use, because our back entrance is a patio door, and I've been told by several contractors that it's impossible to put a dog door on a glass surface. I'm just not ready to invest in French doors at this time, which would cost at least $1K. I know the carpet will run at least twice or three times that, and the floor really is an issue at this time.
Many thanks for your help.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Weekend Projects: DIY Thanksgiving Decor
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Forgiving Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- Bob Vila's Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- 10 Quick Fixes for a More Refreshing Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!