Hi all; hope everyone is enjoying a good holiday.
I posted earlier this year about needing to refloor my home. We have three incontinent dogs (they're allegedly housebroken, but no one has been able to convince them of it). We've already lost a laminate floor to them, after the big box who sold and installed it promised it would stand up to their abuse (and yes, we told them about the canine incontinence), but the flooring manufacturer turned down our warranty filing. So now we've resorted to crating them -- it seems cruel, but it does protect the floor. However, we still need to replace the flooring.
When I bought the laminate in 2001, one of the associates (not a salesman) told me he was getting ready to put a new moisture-barrier carpet in his home. I'm thinking seriously about that, because as pretty as the laminate is, it just doesn't offer the warmth, softness and soundproofing that carpet does. The dogs ruined the original carpet in the house, but as it was 15-year-old contractor grade and didn't match throughout the house, that wasn't much of a loss. I've done a Google search and come up with two leading makers with moisture barriers -- Dupont and Mannington.
My questions are: does anyone have any experience with this type of carpet? Does it really live up to its promises? If so, do you recommend one brand over the other, or another brand entirely?
BTW, we haven't installed a dog door, which they would probably use, because our back entrance is a patio door, and I've been told by several contractors that it's impossible to put a dog door on a glass surface. I'm just not ready to invest in French doors at this time, which would cost at least $1K. I know the carpet will run at least twice or three times that, and the floor really is an issue at this time.
Many thanks for your help.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love