Hi all; hope everyone is enjoying a good holiday.
I posted earlier this year about needing to refloor my home. We have three incontinent dogs (they're allegedly housebroken, but no one has been able to convince them of it). We've already lost a laminate floor to them, after the big box who sold and installed it promised it would stand up to their abuse (and yes, we told them about the canine incontinence), but the flooring manufacturer turned down our warranty filing. So now we've resorted to crating them -- it seems cruel, but it does protect the floor. However, we still need to replace the flooring.
When I bought the laminate in 2001, one of the associates (not a salesman) told me he was getting ready to put a new moisture-barrier carpet in his home. I'm thinking seriously about that, because as pretty as the laminate is, it just doesn't offer the warmth, softness and soundproofing that carpet does. The dogs ruined the original carpet in the house, but as it was 15-year-old contractor grade and didn't match throughout the house, that wasn't much of a loss. I've done a Google search and come up with two leading makers with moisture barriers -- Dupont and Mannington.
My questions are: does anyone have any experience with this type of carpet? Does it really live up to its promises? If so, do you recommend one brand over the other, or another brand entirely?
BTW, we haven't installed a dog door, which they would probably use, because our back entrance is a patio door, and I've been told by several contractors that it's impossible to put a dog door on a glass surface. I'm just not ready to invest in French doors at this time, which would cost at least $1K. I know the carpet will run at least twice or three times that, and the floor really is an issue at this time.
Many thanks for your help.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps