- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Lifespan House > Episode 4: Fireplace and Porch Columns
Installing the Fireplace Throat and Flue
Project: Lifespan House, Episode 4, Part 4
General contractors Kevin and Betsy Kalman update Bob on the progress made so far. Masons are hard at work constructing the fireplace, a special Superior Clay Rumford Firebox. Outside, Bob and Jeff Davis (from Chadsworth Columns) oversee the installation of new columns along the porch. Back inside, the finishing touches are being put on the Rumford firebox.
- Part 1: Building a Rumford Fireplace
- Part 2: Reviewing the Home's Framing
- Part 3: Securing Load-Bearing Columns
- Part 4: Installing the Fireplace Throat and Flue
- Masons install the throat and flue for the Rumford fireplace. The throat prevents the loss, through the flue, of heated room air. (Once fireplace construction is complete, the throat will no longer be visible). The cast-iron damper and smoke chamber mark the transition from the fireplace to the flue.
Bob Vila heads to the Low Country: Mount Pleasant, South Carolina. Steeped in tradition, this historic suburb of Charleston is the scene, not only of a remarkable new home, but of a remarkable transformation in suburban living at the developing community of I'On.
ALL EPISODES IN LIFESPAN HOUSE
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
SEE MORE IN