- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Greenhouse > Episode 5: Heating and Ventilating System
Reviewing the Pergola Design
Contractor Bob Ryley begins framing the new entry pavilion, which will serve as the transition between the greenhouse and the interior. The pavilion will feature a specially designed mahogany pergola supported by four limestone columns. Next, Bob tours the Indiana Limestone factory, where the columns used in the addition were quarried and cut. Back on site, the heating and ventilating system is installed.
Bob Vila heads to Cape Cod in the dead of winter to watch over the construction of a custom, high-tech greenhouse. The design and construction of a new addition to the front of an existing house afforded the creation of this conservatory and of a new front entry pavilion that features a mahogany pergola supported by limestone columns.
Also from Greenhouse
Bob begins the state-of-the-art greenhouse project by visiting Boston's most famous solarium, that of the quirky and romantic Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. Back at the project site, Bob meets the homeowner, tours the existing house, and discusses plans for the addition with the architect. Contractor Bob Ryley begins demolition.
The custom-made steel uprights that will support the weight of the greenhouse arrive, and, soon after, they are attached to the foundation. Rigid insulation is also added to retain heat, even in the dead of winter. Bob takes a walk down Boston's Commonwealth Avenue for a look at two upscale solariums from the last century-- one at Burrage House, the other at Webster House.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers