- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Storm-Ready Design > Episode 14: Completing the Punta Gorda Storm-Ready House
Kitchenware for Easy Living and Stylish Outdoor Furniture and Grill
Project: Storm-Ready Design, Episode 14, Part 3
The Punta Gorda house is complete with a sustainable, low-maintenance yard designated as a Florida Yard by the Florida Yards and Neighborhoods program. Bob thanks Leslie Chapman-Henderson from FLASH as they review the enhanced building practices that will keep this house safe in a storm, like cast-in-place concrete walls, a raised foundation with stem walls, a roof system with embedded clips and straps, storm-resistant soffits, impact-resistant windows and patio doors, doors that resist blow-in, and a hurricane-rated garage door. The Mercedes Homes crew explains that these building practices are part of the move toward safe, responsible new housing for Florida. Inside, Bob meets homeowner Teresa Fogelini and Cynthia Guncsaga from Bacon’s Furniture Galleries, who furnished the home for Fogelini and Jim Minardi, who lost everything in Hurricane Charley. The Porcelanosa tiles set the color tone while the bamboo entry garden helped set a theme for the furnishings and art from Presseller’s Gallery. The kitchen is complete with cookware and accessories from Oh Cecile in San Francisco. Outside, Frontgate provided furniture designed to bring the inside outdoors with great looks that stand up to real weather. Bob ends with a walk across the lawn to a waiting boat at the dock.
- Part 1: A Sustainable Yard and Landscape
- Part 2: Interior Design for a Florida Home
- Part 3: Kitchenware for Easy Living and Stylish Outdoor Furniture and Grill
- The open-plan family room of the Punta Gorda house overlooks the canal on one side and opens onto the living area and kitchen on the other. Cecile Hemphill of Oh Cecile in San Francisco shows Bob the cookware and accessories that now fill the cupboards. Starting with Chantal cookware in bright colors, a teapot with a whistle, a Lodge pre-seasoned cast iron skillet, and a Joyce Chen wok, Hemphill has completely outfitted the kitchen for cooking and entertaining. The drawers are filled with Oxo ergonomically designed cooking utensils. Ironwood Gourmet's Acacia wood cutting boards stand ready on the counters, as does bright-colored Chantal ceramic ware that goes from the freezer to the oven to the table. Bob also remarks on the Whirlpool side-by-side refrigerator-freezer that measures and dispenses water. All of the appliances are from Whirlpool, including the dishwasher and front-loading washer and dryer. Bob and Hemphill remark on the overall design of the kitchen, the openess and the size of the elements, which are perfectly scaled and large enough for easy living and frequent entertaining. Meg Tarvin from Frontgate is with Teresa Fogolini and Bob as they move to the poolside lanai and the furnishings that bring indoor living outside. The Estate Plantation chair they have chosen is sturdy, durable, and designed to live outdoors. It sits on a rug that is polypropolene, woven in Belgium, waterproof, and UV protected. Even the clock-thermometer is like indoor wall art, yet it is meant to live outdoors. The buffet has all-weather wicker baskets, stainless steel hardware, and finishes meant to withstand the weather. Even the glassware is elegant, perfect for outdoor living. Fogolini explains that she and Jim Minardi live outdoors most of the time, so the cast aluminum chairs and table designed for outdoors are perfect for them. The stainless-steel cooler bowl with cast aluminum base is loaded with drinks for a party. Minardi is already at the grill with steaks for the upcoming housewarming.
When hurricanes strike again and again, as they did in Florida in 2004, the effects are devastating. Bob Vila and crew work to completely rebuild a damaged house, using new standards for storm-ready housing. Along the way, Bob investigates a home's vulnerabilities in extreme weather and learns why some building systems fail and others succeed.
ALL EPISODES IN STORM-READY DESIGN
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
SEE MORE IN