The Best Christmas Stockings of 2022
Is there anything more magical than the feeling of waking up on Christmas morning? A house filled with loved ones, the smell of a delicious breakfast wafting through the air, and stockings hung by the chimney with care all make for an unforgettable holiday experience. Actually choosing those stockings, however, can be somewhat overwhelming considering the number of options on the market. We’ll break down what to look for when shopping for the best Christmas stockings for this holiday season and discuss the key factors to keep in mind as you consider your purchase. Keep reading for tips on choosing the best stockings, and explore our picks for the best options on the market.
L.L. Bean is known for its timeless pieces, and this personalized Christmas stocking is no exception. Made with a velvet-feel material with a quilted finish, it comes in four colors—red, cream, buffalo check, and red plaid—to best suit your holiday decor style. Monogramming is included in the price, and shoppers can choose from three fonts: Times, Block, or Script. The attached loop measures 3 by 0.5 inches and makes it easy to hang from your mantel.
- Material: Velveteen shell, polyester/cotton blend liner
- Dimensions: 22 by 12.5 inches
- Color options: Red, cream, red/cream buffalo check, red plaid
This traditional Christmas stocking from Kunyida looks like it was lovingly knit by hand. It comes in a pack of four, making this a great value pick. The pattern is featured on both sides, so the stockings can be hung facing either left or right. Choose from a set featuring four stockings of a single color, or mix it up with a combination of classic Christmas colors or choose ivory and khaki for a modern, neutral look.
- Material: Woolen yarn
- Dimensions: 18 by 5 inches
- Color options: Ivory, burgundy, khaki, green, gray
These treasures from Etsy are the best personalized stockings. They are fully customizable, with shoppers choosing the pattern, font, thread color, and cuff color. Choose from traditional Fair Isle patterns featuring reindeer, angels, snowflakes, or a chevron print, all of which come in a cohesive color palette of white, gray, and red. These 28-inch-long stockings are extra large, providing plenty of room for holiday toys and treats.
- Material: Wool/polyester blend with rayon embroidery
- Dimensions: 28 by 6.25 inches
- Color options: Combinations of red, white, and gray
Little ones will appreciate the smiling Santa Claus or snowman motif on these kid-friendly stockings from Amazon. Personalization is included with the cost, and you can choose from either Block or Script font with the embroidery color of your choosing. Measuring 18.5 by 7.5 inches, this stocking is a standard medium size that works well for children.
- Material: Wool/polyester blend with rayon embroidery
- Dimensions: 18.5 by 7.5 inches
- Color options: Santa print or snowman print
Looking to create a luxe ski resort vibe with your holiday decor? Consider these faux fur stockings from AISENO. They come in a set of two, making this a great economical choice despite the high-end look. The plush fur exterior is fully lined for a more durable end result. The furry loop at the top lets you easily hang these stockings from your mantel facing either left or right.
- Material: Faux fur
- Dimensions: 18 by 15.7 inches
- Color options: White
These stockings from Pottery Barn Kids feature a Fair Isle pattern and an adorable 3D reindeer face complete with faux fur embellishments. Each fiber is yarn-dyed with eco-friendly dyes prior to being woven. The exterior is made from a blend of wool and polyester while the lining features cotton and polyester. Personalization is available for an additional cost. Due to its construction, it has to be spot cleaned and is not machine washable.
- Material: Wool, polyester, cotton
- Dimensions: 27 by 11 inches
- Color options: Red and white Fair Isle
These Sudha Pennathur stockings from Neiman Marcus are made in India using sustainable resources as well as eco-friendly fabrics and dyes. They feature elegant beading and intricate hand embroidery with gold-dipped threads. The Nakshi floral pattern on these luxury Christmas stockings is unique and will provide a high-end feel to your mantel. Personalize each stocking with up to nine characters for an additional cost.
- Material: Rayon
- Dimensions: 23 by 10 inches
- Color options: White-and-gold patterned
This green-and-white stocking from Crate & Barrel features a simple Scandinavian design with a graphic striped print that perfectly straddles the line between vintage and modern. It’s made from 100 percent cotton and includes a ribbed fold-over cuff and three cotton pom-poms for added texture. Crate & Barrel also offers a number of other stocking options that coordinate well with this design so you can mix and match to your heart’s content. Do note that these stockings are dry clean only.
Dimensions: 26 by 8 inches
Color options: White-and-green stripes
These chunky knit stockings from L.L. Bean were inspired by the traditional design of a fisherman sweater, featuring a cable knit stitch made with thick acrylic fibers. They have a soft fleece lining, which adds to their high-end feel. Choose from solid colors or a snowflake pattern, or mix and match for different members of your family. These stockings are not machine washable and must be dry cleaned.
- Material: Acrylic with fleece lining
- Dimensions: 22 by 8 inches
- Color options: Red, natural, red snowflake, silver snowflake
Delight your children on Christmas morning with these light-up reindeer stockings from Pottery Barn Kids. They are operated by a three-way switch that allows you to manually turn them on and off or set a 6- or 18-hour timer. They feature eight LED bulbs and are operated by three AAA batteries (not included). Personalization is available for an additional cost. Due to their makeup, these stockings can only be spot cleaned.
- Material: Cotton exterior and batting with polyester lining
- Dimensions: 20 by 8.5 inches
- Color options: Red and white
Land’s End’s needlepoint Christmas stockings have a classic aesthetic that’s sure to stand the test of time. They feature charming holiday scenes like skiing polar bears, dogs in front of a roaring fire, and a cheerful gingerbread house. They’re made from a combination of wool and cotton, so it’s a high-quality piece that’s made to last. Because of its material, however, it must be dry cleaned and isn’t machine washable.
- Material: Wool with cotton backing
- Dimensions: 20.5 by 7.375 inches
- Color options: Wide selection of holiday prints
Don’t forget your furry family members this holiday season! These paw-shaped stockings are perfect for filling with toys, bones, and treats for your pets. Featuring a faux sherpa material with a red plaid cuff, this stocking also includes a satin ribbon with decorative dangling bones. Personalize the stocking with your pet’s name for no added cost.
- Material: Polyester blend
- Dimensions: 15 by 10.5 inches
- Color options: White and plaid
As an alternative to fully personalized Christmas stockings, Target offers these stylish monogrammed options that feature a single letter instead. With classic red-and-white stripes and a cozy knit pattern, the graphic style of this stocking is both timeless and contemporary. It should only be spot cleaned and is not machine washable.
- Material: Acrylic, polyester
- Dimensions: 20 by 8 inches
- Color options: Red-and-white stripes
This adorable knit stocking from West Elm is made from 100 percent wool and features tiny metallic gold stars embroidered into the pattern. It’s handmade in Nepal in a factory that meets fair trade standards. Shoppers can add a name or monogram for an additional fee. Due to its fabric makeup, it can only be spot cleaned and cannot be submerged in water.
- Material: Wool
- Dimensions: 22 by 6.2 inches
- Color options: Cream with gold stars
Your feline friends deserve treats this holiday season, too. This stocking from Bed Bath & Beyond is adorned with a winter scene featuring a black cat with a red ribbon around its neck. The cuff includes lettering reading “meow” in a red font. It has a vintage feel that will bring holiday joy for years to come. Spot cleaning is necessary due to the intricate weave of the design.
- Material: Acrylic, polyester
- Dimensions: 20 by 10.24 inches
- Color options: White, gray, and red
Tips for Choosing the Best Christmas Stockings
Choosing Christmas stockings largely has to do with aesthetic preference, but there are also a number of practical considerations to keep in mind.
- Before purchasing a Christmas stocking, consider the intended purpose. While some stockings are designed to be purely decorative, others feature high-quality linings so they can be filled with treats and presents year after year without tearing or losing their shape.
- Christmas stockings range in size and are typically measured by length. Generally speaking, standard-size stockings range in length from 18 to 28 inches. Establish what size your family requires before committing to a style.
- Decide whether you want your household’s stockings to match or simply color-coordinate. Many brands sell a range of stockings that are designed to create a cohesive aesthetic even if they vary in color and pattern.
After reviewing this guide, you’ll feel well informed when shopping for Christmas stockings this holiday season. For a personalized pick, consider the L.L. Bean Classic Velvet Christmas Stocking, which has a classic design and several customizable features. If you’re on a budget, the four-pack of Kunyida Ivory Knit Christmas Stockings is an excellent value pick.
How We Chose the Best Christmas Stockings
Our curated selection was developed based on several years of experience testing and reviewing home products as well as extensive product research. After considering over 50 potential options of varying styles and sizes, we narrowed down our choices to this list of top products. We weighed a number of practical considerations when making our recommendations.
- Material: Christmas stockings are made from either natural materials like cotton and wool or synthetic fibers like polyester and acrylic. We gave a slight preference to stockings made with natural materials because of their quality and longevity, but we also included synthetic options in our picks because they’re more affordable and can be just as well made.
- Hanging loop: A hanging loop is necessary for hanging stockings from a mantel. We considered only stockings that included a loop.
- Care requirements: Due to their knit designs and intricate embellishments, most Christmas stockings on the market are not machine washable. The listings will typically stipulate whether the stocking can be hand washed, spot cleaned, or dry cleaned. Because most stockings we considered featured these care requirements, we didn’t rule out any models due to their laundering instructions.
While you now know more about Christmas stockings, you might still have questions about how to choose and display them. The following answers respond to the most frequently asked questions about stockings.
Q. What do I put in a Christmas stocking?
What you put in a Christmas stocking really depends on the intended recipient. For children, fill a stocking with toys, books, games, and sweet treats. For adults, consider small toiletry items, chocolate, gift cards, magazines, and accessories. Also, consider making DIY gifts to fill your stockings.
Q. How do I hang Christmas stockings on the mantel?
To hang Christmas stockings on a mantel, you’ll need stocking hangers, like these from FINMOR (available on Amazon).
Q. How do I hang Christmas stockings on the staircase?
To hang Christmas stockings on a staircase, install removable self-adhesive hooks to the railing or use twine or ribbon to tie the stockings to the banister.
Q. Do Christmas stockings have to match?
While matching Christmas stockings provide a cohesive look, feel free to mix and match to create an aesthetic that suits your holiday decorating style.
Q. Can I wash Christmas stockings?
While some Christmas stockings can be hand washed or machine washed, most can only be spot cleaned or dry cleaned.